Can preperation of foods be a factor in floating?

Mr. Hyde

I tend to give my fish spinach, boiled in water for 2-3 minutes until mushy.

Recently, I (for no other reason then convenience) microwaved the spinach in water until it was soft.

I noticed it wasn't as soft as when I did it stove top.

I have become (foolishly) hesitant in giving them spinach again, even though they had no issue when it was boiled well...been sticking to just sinking pellets.

My question is; Can under cooked spinach(/veggies) create a digestion issue leading to floating?

Good question. I don't know the answer to that.

However, I can tell you that back when I give them spinach, I just blanched it for a minute, and that's it. They didn't have any issues.

I've given my fish uncooked lettuce cut into tiny pieces without a problem. I don't know if whether or not the fish was already prone to SB issues would be a factor when it comes to cooking or not cooking vegetables.

Good question. I don't know the answer to that.

However, I can tell you that back when I give them spinach, I just blanched it for a minute, and that's it. They didn't have any issues.

Thanks for the reply Alex.

It got me a bit skittish...I hated myself for doing anything that could hurt my little guys.

I used to steam mine, but then it occurred to me that in nature (and in planted tanks/ponds!) GF eat uncooked greenery all the time. Why should we have to cook it for them? Mine seem to have no problem eating spinach, green or red leaf lettuce, etc, raw. I do lightly steam kale b/c it's very thick.

I've given my fish uncooked lettuce cut into tiny pieces without a problem. I don't know if whether or not the fish was already prone to SB issues would be a factor when it comes to cooking or not cooking vegetables.

I've heard many give uncooked lettuce (red leaf...?), but spinach is said to be more tough.

Maybe I should give spinach a break.

I used to steam mine, but then it occurred to me that in nature (and in planted tanks/ponds!) GF eat uncooked greenery all the time. Why should we have to cook it for them? Mine seem to have no problem eating spinach, green or red leaf lettuce, etc, raw. I do lightly steam kale b/c it's very thick.

I've been hand feeding them...maybe I gave them too much?

They are like little Hoovers, sucking it up all at once!

I actually find that grazing on uncooked leafy greens makes my floaty ryukin less floaty :) I do red lettuce though since the spinach is tougher.

I actually find that grazing on uncooked leafy greens makes my floaty ryukin less floaty :) I do red lettuce though since the spinach is tougher.

Appreciate the suggestion.:)

Do you just leave it in a big leaf for them to gnaw on it?

I agree that being to give the goldfish an option to graze tends to help with digestion. Naturally they should all know how to graze but it is more convenient for us to feed them on a schedule that is a little more strict.

I believe this is why an algal wall is recommended for an easy way to promote grazing. :)

I agree that being to give the goldfish an option to graze tends to help with digestion. Naturally they should all know how to graze but it is more convenient for us to feed them on a schedule that is a little more strict.

I believe this is why an algal wall is recommended for an easy way to promote grazing. :)

I think you are right.

Might have been my fault for feeding them so much at once.

...live and learn.

Appreciate the suggestion.:)

Yup, I have it in a veggie clip and it keeps them entertained :) I hand feed their actual meals.

Appreciate the suggestion. :)

Yup, I have it in a veggie clip and it keeps them entertained :) I hand feed their actual meals.

Good to know.

Thanks KJ.