Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Olucky bamboo in HOB

Here's a picture of lucky bamboo in a HOB. I just added it for extra nitrate consumption. Since adding them (a few weeks ago, added the dark green one a week ago) I've noticed the plant's leafs have gotten bigger and greener.

35k906f.jpg

Nice! :)

Love them! Helping your nitrates?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, that looks so cool!! :) I've thought about doing something like that but always talked myself out of it! So cool!

Very nice! Have you noticed a difference in nitrate levels?

out of curiosity, when people do this, where do you put your filter media? is there enough space in the left side of the HOB (where the intake is) for a lot of media?

I have only three plants and still lots of room for other stuff.

out of curiosity, when people do this, where do you put your filter media? is there enough space in the left side of the HOB (where the intake is) for a lot of media?

I think all there is is bamboo in the filter :P

Great job ! A new innovation :)

I have two other canister filters on this tank. This HOB only has bamboo in it. As for nitrate levels. It's hard to tell at this point. Others have had success so I hope this works out in the end.

I wanted to try this! How powerful of a filter do you need to have dedicated to the bamboo to make it worthwhile? I have a 60gal tank and the only filters I have lying around are a 10gal and a 20gal. Would that be enough gph to noticeably decrease nitrates?

I wonder could one use something like the plastic bathroom suction cup bottle holders to do the same thing but have it in the tank? ummm.. i might do this.

something like this?

http://images.esellerpro.com/2123/300.400@I/431/9/HG0089_Holder_Collage.jpg

I think you could also use a breeder box. I'm not sure how those attach though...don't they just hang over the walls of the tank?

I wonder could one use something like the plastic bathroom suction cup bottle holders to do the same thing but have it in the tank? ummm.. i might do this.

something like this?

I think you could also use a breeder box. I'm not sure how those attach though...don't they just hang over the walls of the tank?

I've never used one so I don't know lol

something like this?

I've never used one so I don't know lol

Me neither! We need some expert help over here :rofl2

something like this?

I've used one of those for a peace lily and philodendron. I just took a cutting of the plants and hold them in place with extra filter media. I have 2 lucky bamboo in a whisper 20 filter as well. I haven't noticed a difference with the nitrates yet. It's been a few months. I think I may need to add more plants for it to make a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Pet Supplies Plus sells Lee's Specimen Containers (those things they hang over the edge when you buy a fish). I was thinking I could plant bamboo in there and drill some holes for water to flow through. Only $5 :)

im thinking of getting two of the bathroom things i found at walmart for $3 lol and doning something with them lol

wow again !! some nice growth :)

I was told years ago to water my house plants with discarded fish water that it would benefit them and did so in our last two places we lived, but my new place I can only run the water out the nearest door which isn't near my house plants :(