Fertiliser?

Lis.

So next week I'll be receiving an order of plants for my 275 litre tank :) I've read a few times that people recommend using fertiliser, and my question is...what's the best (and not overly expensive) fertiliser you'd recommend? I want one that WON'T kill snails, as I'm planning to get some nerites this weekend in an attempt to combat my algae issues. I also have some Malaysian trumpet snails, so it's vital that it doesn't kill snails! :)

what kind of plants are you getting, how big is your tank, what kind of lighting (type and watts) and what kind of substrate?

A planted tank is a delicate balance of ferts and lights (and co2 as well) ;) Depending on what type and how many plants you have, the ferts your fish produce may be enough. Seachem ferts tend to be pretty popular. I use Seachem flourish once in awhile (when I remember!), root tabs are also a good idea, particularly if you are getting heavy root feeders.

Ferts could increase algae. Too many ferts = more 'food' for algae to grow ;)

Are you using co2? High lights? How many plants? Just a couple? Most cases the waste for the fish is enough for the plants.

Okay, so it's a 275 litre tank with sand and gravel substrate (most of the plants will be planted in the gravel)

My sister ordered the plants for my birthday, and I think there's 50+ plants (few of them rooted, most of them cuttings and stem plants I think). When I feel there are enough plants I'll just put any extras in my tropical tanks :)

According to the seller she ordered them from it will be a selection of;

Bacopa monniera Bacopa, Ceratopteris thalicroides Water Sprite, Echinodorus amazonicus Ruffled Sword Plant, Echinodorus bleheri Amazon Sword Plant, Egeria densa Pondweed, Egeria najas Ditchweed, Hygrophila corymbosa Hygro/Stricta, Hygrophila polysperma, Hygrophila difformis Water Wisteria, Lagarosiphon major Anacharis, Ludwigia repens Ludwigia, Sagittaria subulata, Shinnersia rivularis Mexican Oak Leaf Plant, Vallisneria americans Giant Vallis, Vallisneria americans var. Serpanta Red Serpent Vallis, Vallisneria nana Narrowleaf/Dwarf Vallis, Vallisneria spiralis Common (Straight) Vallis

I'm not home right now, so I couldn't tell you much about the lights, all I can say is I think they'd call T5's? 2 white ones, a blue one, and a pink one (hope that helps)

I am not using co2, not at the moment anyway :) thanks for the help ladies :)