STILL worried about Eugene

Hey guys,

I've written a few posts about the trouble Eugene has been having with Gill (Gill is being such a bully). I finally put a divider in the tank two days ago because Gill just wouldn't stop harassing Eugene, and it looked like Eugene had just given up and was sitting there taking it.

Yesterday, Eugene seemed great. He was swimming around a lot more than he has been lately. He looked happy. He held his dorsal fin up high, and seemed to be feeling really good. Today.... not so much. Today he is lying at the bottom of the tank. He's wedged himself under the fish bowl that I have in the tank (just under the round part at the bottom of it), and he won't move. He's been sitting like that almost the entire day. Had no interest in his food, won't even look at me (which is extremely strange for him).

I just don't know what to do. I'm leaving in two days, and I'll be gone for months (my boyfriend will be taking care of them while I'm gone, but he doesn't really know what to do when it comes to this stuff). Eugene looks so sad and depressed..

I just took the divider out now to see if that would do anything. At first Eugene continued to sit in the same place, and Gill went and devoured any little bit of food (or anything that looked like food) on Eugene's side of the tank. Eugene perked up a little bit, swam around a bit, and now Gill is just constantly all over him.

Gill is swimming completely inside Eugene's tail, and Eugene is swimming away fast to get away. It looks like Gill keeps trying to pick at Eugene's.... err... bum, and if he's not doing that, then Gill is swimming right up beside Eugene, actually touching him, or swimming up in front of him so Eugene can't go where he wants to. It is non stop.

Also, I think Eugene's tumor on his gill is really starting to bother him. The tumor has gotten bigger. It is mostly clear tissue, but it has some dark spots in it, as well as some bright red bloody looking spots.

Is Gill maybe picking on Eugene because of the tumor? Survival of the fittest or what have you?

Right now, Eugene is lying on the bottom, and Gill is trying to shove himself underneath Eugene. This is ridiculous. I'll post a video of the behaviour really soon.

With you going away for a few months I'm not too sure what to tell you. You can start a D&D thread if your boyfriend feels comfortable following up in it after you are gone.

bodoba, I've already left him my login information and everything for the forum :)

Chelsea, I thought this too, but I just find it weird because I KNOW Eugene is a male, so why would Gill be harassing him like this? Gill has been picking on Eugene since the day I introduced them together, but it has only been THIS bad since I took the divider away today.

Video is almost done uploading, so I'll post it in a sec!

Tested my tank a week ago, so params might not be quite right, but my tank levels really don't fluctuate much at all

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(tank): 0
    • * Nitrite Level(tank): 0
    • * Nitrate level(tank): 5-10
    • * Ammonia Level(tap): 0
    • * Nitrite Level(tap): 0
    • * Nitrate level(tap): 10
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips: or drops?: Nutrafin drops
      • * Water temperature?: Room temperature, maybe 20 degrees celsius
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?: 38 gallon, running for years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?: Aquaclear 50 and Tetra Whisper EX45
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: a week, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?: 2, body length 2.5 - 3.5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?: Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?: homemade gel food daily
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?: Gill (the one causing all this trouble)
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?: Eugene has a tumor on his gill, and has tiny bits of what I assume to be fungus or something on the edge of his tail, but they never ever go away no matter what I treat the tank with or how clean the water is
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?: Eugene seems stressed, occasional bottom sitting, not swimming perfectly horizontal, he is sometimes tilted upwards

I remember your posts from before and you were asking for suggestions for the behavior to stop. I'm sorry you haven't found something to make it stop. I had a female fish that was being harassed by 3 bigger fish. She was really being chased and pounced on a lot. After a about a week or so I couldn't take it any more and put her in a new tank. I don't know if you want to or can afford another tank but that might be your only option. Or you can find one of them a new home as hard as that might be. I'd be afraid that Eugene is going to get hurt really bad. Those are just my opinions because obviously I'm not a mod and only been on here learning since last Sept. I hope you find a better solution if you don't care for these.

I've been thinking about doing that. I'm just worried that Eugene would get depressed again being all alone if I moved Gill. He wasn't doing well when he was alone, but he's not doing much better being picked on like that. And I wouldn't be able to get a new fish and QT him and introduce him to Eugene since I'm gone all summer.

The behaviour seems to have calmed down a bit right now, but who knows what goes on when I'm not watching the tank.

I've been thinking about doing that. I'm just worried that Eugene would get depressed again being all alone if I moved Gill. He wasn't doing well when he was alone, but he's not doing much better being picked on like that. And I wouldn't be able to get a new fish and QT him and introduce him to Eugene since I'm gone all summer.

The behaviour seems to have calmed down a bit right now, but who knows what goes on when I'm not watching the tank.

Sounds like you have a lot going on with your trip and your fish. I feel for you trying to figure this all out. But in the long run it sounds like Eugene would be better off alone. Then you can find him a friend after you come back. I think only you can really decide what to do seeing that these are your fish and you really know what you can and can't do at this busy time in your life. I do wish Eugene and Gill well. I wish they would have behaved by now.

Gill seems to have settled down today. He's leaving Eugene alone for the most part, which I'm happy to see, but I've noticed him act like this before, and it just ends up with Eugene being harassed more a couple of days later.

Eugene is more active today than he was yesterday, so I'll take that as a good sign.

*crosses fingers* let's hope Gill keeps behaving now..

• Supporter

the telescope is certainly having a difficult time, and i do not believe it is spawining behaviour. i too feel it's intense bullying :(

normally, in bully type situations, we pull the bully out of the tank and qt them for at least 2 weeks. then, during a water change when territorial scents from either is low as when you're refilling with fresh water, these scents are dissolved , the bully fish is re-introduced to the tank again. if the bullying persists, then we take him out and give him another 2-3 weeks in qt.

this can be a very long process. unfortunately, leaving them as they are matters will become worse. in my opinion, the telescope is swimming as it should be, i do not believe it is receiving any disadvantage from it's gill tumor. telescopes are difficult swimmers and very graceful.. to be pushed along like that on a constant is probably wearing him/herself out.

i personally would not be leaving these two together wether it be during my presence or absence. the tele will continue to weaken and die from stress.

Hi Helen, thanks for the response :)

I have a tank divider that I could use if Gill gets too aggressive, but I don't really have anything else I can do. I can't set up a QT tank for when I'm gone, I don't have time to rehome Gill, and I definitely don't have time to find Eugene a new friend. I don't want Eugene to be alone over the summer; the last time he was alone, I was honestly scared he was going to die from loneliness/depression. I had never seen a fish behave the way Eugene did when he was alone.

Gill is still leaving Eugene alone for now (he's been well behaved all of today so far), so I'll leave it as it is for now. My mom is going to be home and checking on them every day, so if she notices any aggression, I'll get her to put the divider in.

They'll be able to reach me by cell phone some of the time that I'm gone, so at least sometimes I can get an update about how the fish are doing.

If it gets any worse though, maybe I'll try to get my boyfriend to rehome him (or to get his own tank and to take Gill for me!!).