Sign in to follow this  
4prettyfish

Water milky/floating gunk

I am so un-happy with myself right now. I must have rinsed the bb a little to good I guess last week.

When will I be doing another WC then? Do you want me to pick up that Indust. Ammon tomorrow? I'm sorry I just can't get it now. Don't want to get into details.

So, I am going to put all 5 fish in the 55 now. !!?? kind of hesitant but don't really want them in the 20 either. I'm annoyed with myself. :(

Thank you Alex for helping me.

Don't be annoyed. This happens with everyone at one time or another. I don't know why, but virtually everyone's had a cycle bump or crash. If this happens now, it happens now.

You don't need to get the ammonia, if you are going to put the fish back in the 55. This is what we are going to do once you have the fish back there.

1. Check your parameters daily.

2. Use only Prime. We cannot use Amquel Plus now, because I will have you dose more than a single dose.

3. If ammonia + nitrite for any given day is less than 1ppm total, dose with 2x Prime, but no WC.

4. If ammonia + nitrite is equal to, or greater than, 1ppm, then do as big a WC as you can.

We do this until you have zero ammonia but peaking nitrites. Then, we'll switch strategies a little bit.

Thank you so much for the instructions above. I'll prob. do about a 80 to 90% WC when I need to ...due to your instructions above.

All the fish were timid and huddled together hiding in the big plant I put in there for them. (plants got cleaned really well yesterday)

They are kind of now swimming around a little more and separating themselves from each other.

I think I'm a little worried about Pearl the C. Pearlscale. She seems to be swimming "off" a little. Like tilting to one side. My stomach has a knot in it now. I'm going to keep an eye on her and If I need to post a video later I will on a new thread.

Thank you for the words in your first paragraph. I appreciate it. I'm just worried and I'm not liking myself right now. I'm also glad my daughter has been here to help/assist me when I needed it.

Anyway, I'll ck param. tomorrow morning. My daughter wants to Skype a friend now. So I'll be off computer.

Thank you again Alex. I'll post tomorrow with update unless later because of Pearl.

55g water about the same. not clear but not disgusting. Just dark looking still.

This morning

ammonia .25

nitrite .25

nitrate 0 but always look like a darker yellow to me

I added 1x prime and realized much later in evening.....like 7pm I should have added two times. I added 1 more dose of prime at 7

Around 6pm

ammonia .25

nitrite .25 but a bit darker but not as dark as a .50

nitrate 0

I did no water change today. Will ck everything again tomorrow.

A CONCERN ABOUT MY PEARLSCALE.

This morning I noticed a thing/tag/something sticking out on my Pearlscales side. I don't know if it's a scale that rubbed off or something but it's sticking out. I don't know anything about this but to me it does not look like a scale. What is this? I hope it's nothing bad. She has been acting normal and eating today. Last night when I put all the fish into the 55 tank she looked like she was tilting on her side. But this only lasted for about 1/2 hr. I didn't see this thing on her last night at all. Noticed it this morning after the WC. I don't remember seeing it prior to the WC.

I wish I could post the photo's directly here but I always seem to have problems with that. So sorry you have to open them up.

DSC01956_zps7583e906.jpg

DSC01976_zps03ed8a6d.jpg

DSC01973_zps6a6ca9ec.jpg

I think it looks worse then what the photo's are showing. At certain angles you can definitely see this poking out. It looks white but kind of fuzzy looking at the tips.

Edited by dnalex

Looks like your pearlie lost a scale. Just monitor it, but I think that's all it is. :)

To embed pics directly, copy the IMG code for the pic on Photobucket, not the direct or HTML one. :)

Let's keep going. I think we are on the right track.

Looks like your pearlie lost a scale. Just monitor it, but I think that's all it is. :)

To embed pics directly, copy the IMG code for the pic on Photobucket, not the direct or HTML one. :)

Let's keep going. I think we are on the right track.

I just went to ck on her after I had typed my post and she didn't have that hanging on her side. If I didn't know anything she looks "normal". But I looked really good to find it and it's just a tiny looking stump. I'll take a pearl falling off then a worm detaching.

Thanks for fixing photo's Alex. I know what to do but for some reason I always get the Koko's first page showing up. Weird, I know! Next time I'll try again. Thanks

I'm glad 55 tank is on right track then. Thank you. I was afraid I was going to have to do something tonight regarding the fish or tank or both. I can take a break. YEAAA!!!! :)

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but good luck with your tank! It sounds like your doing great with getting things back on track

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but good luck with your tank! It sounds like your doing great with getting things back on track <3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. I appreciate it.

A hard lesson learned.............don't clean your filter sponges/filter pads to good. I believe that's what happened to me. I didn't know this last week or even last Friday. But come to realize with Alex's help.........it must be this.

Today

Ammonia .25

Nitrite .25 but looks a bit lighter

Nitrate 0

Alex, The water still is cloudy/milky. My background on the tank still looks dark. When I look down the side of the tank it is looking better. It's just not the usual crystal clear water that my tanks usually have. I'm just so glad it doesn't have all that gunk floating around. Seeing I have 5 fish in this tank (temporarily) can I do a water change either tomorrow or the next day? (Wednesday or Thursday) Or, is this going to set me back? I do WC every 5 days but am thinking of doing them closer together for the reason of having two extra fish in this tank. My gph is 900.

Also, Hopefully, Once my Nitrite's say 0 can I then set back up the 34g tank? If so, I was going to take out a filter sponge from the 55 and put it in the 34g tank to get that going? I do have another 110AC sponge sitting in water and I do realize that I probably lost what BB that was on it. I'll put this sponge into the 55 to replace the one I take out.

I hope this sounds good.

Thank you again for all your help.

Doing a WC tomorrow or the day after won't set you back. It'll be good for them.

The answer is yes for the 34g. You can set it up now if you like, but you'll have to monitor two tanks. It's up to you. :)

Okay Great. I'll most likely do a 80% WC sometime tomorrow on the 55.

All the fish (girls and boys) are doing great together. So I'm actually thinking of putting the little male black moor in with the little girl pearlscale in the 34. I did have a boy tank and a girl tank. If it doesn't work out I'll change it back with the girls in one and boys in the other.

If I set up the 34g tomorrow or the next day do you think it could be possible to have them both on the same water schedule? The only thing I don't want is having the tanks schedule all messed up with different days and monitoring both. I think I already know the answer though. *just depends on the param.* Could I do a WC on both tanks every 3 days just to hopefully get the water conditions the same? My 34 might turn up all icky looking also huh? I would probably just have to go along as I go.

I sure did mess up my routine. At least my fish are okay. Thank you Alex for seeing me through this mess. I was stressed out last Friday and over the weekend.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Can someone please tell me If I'm still doing okay.

I did about a 85% WC around 8:30 this morning in the 55. I did this just to give the 5 fish fresh water. I put in about 1 1/2 capfuls of prime. I did not ck the param.

I did the param around 5:45pm

ammonia .50

nitrite .25

nitrate 0

I decided to fill the 34g tank at 4:30pm I double dosed the tank and waited about 20 min then cked the param

Ammonia .50

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

I didn't like the ammonia so I went ahead and emptied the tank just about all the way down and filled up the tank again. Double dosed it again with prime and waited about 20 min or so and cked the param. again. They are the same.

Seeing that both tanks were the same I went ahead and put the two smallest fish in the 34g. Total inches, a 4 and 3 1/2 fish.

They seem to be okay in the tank for now. I did this thinking it would be better for the ammonia.

However the 55g two of the fish were floating up top hanging out. They didn't look to unhappy. Not like last Friday I believe. But it did bother me. So I am in the process of doing another WC. Did one this morning and again now. I was going to double dose the tank seeing the fish didn't seem happy. Or I can stick to the plan and only dose once if the ammonia isn't above 1.0. I know I should not have done a WC now because the Ammonia didn't get to 1.0 but I really didn't like what I was seeing on two of the three fish.

If someone can please tell me if I'm doing the right thing OR if I should be doing something else.

Thank you

Stick to the plan.

You need to have that bit of ammonia and nitrite to drive your cycle to completion.

Hang in there!

Okay. Thanks Alex.

I just never had this problem before with the cloudy dark water. Granted I never had a API test kit before either. My daughter always started up those smaller tanks that she kept in her room with that quick start stuff. (we kept upgrading and had a 29g in her room)

I think tomorrow I will get on Koko's and read up on the cycle procedure. I am just worried about the fish because I don't like the way the water looks in either tank.

I will follow the plan as in NOW. Sorry I got off. I'll try to hang in better.

Thank you for responding back.

I hope you see this Alex to get your advice. The red cap is hanging around on top again like that previous video tonight. I have a video if you want me to up load it.

I'll go back a couple of days for the param. on the 55g

5-30-13 Ammonia .50 Nitrite .25 Nitrate 0

5-31-13 Ammonia .50 Nitrite .25 maybe .50 Nitrate 0

6-1-13 I didn't test water the fish were all swimming around and everything looked fine. If I remember correctly I think the water has been looking much better by this day.

Today the water is looking much better. I did a WC after I cked my param. from 2pm today.

6-2-13 (today at 2pm) Ammonia .25 Nitrite close to 1.0 (I should have cked on the first. ugh)

6-2-13 (today at 7pm) Ammonia .25 Nitrite .50 Nitrate 5.0 maybe a tiny bit darker but not a 10

Since the Red Cap (Valentino, same fish) has been doing above noted should I: just leave the tank alone? Do another WC? Add more Prime?

Edited by 4prettyfish

Alright, I'd like for you to do another WC, just to get the numbers lowered a bit.

Then, on top of the regular addition of Prime, add 1 level teaspoon of salt per TEN GALLONS of water. This very low level of salt will block the nitrite effects. You'll want this low level of salt for the rest of the time, until your tank is back to being cycled. Valentino is likely to being feeling the effects of the nitrite, and the salt should help him out. Does he have redness in his tail fins?

Alright, I'd like for you to do another WC, just to get the numbers lowered a bit.

Then, on top of the regular addition of Prime, add 1 level teaspoon of salt per TEN GALLONS of water. This very low level of salt will block the nitrite effects. You'll want this low level of salt for the rest of the time, until your tank is back to being cycled. Valentino is likely to being feeling the effects of the nitrite, and the salt should help him out. Does he have redness in his tail fins?

Thanks Alex. I will do as suggested now. If Valentino looks red I'll post as soon as I can. I want to start the wc now because it's getting late. Thank you so much.

I do not see any redness in his tail. So that's good. You want me to add one dose of prime, correct?

Yes :)

Yes :)

Thank you so much for helping me

Since I'm waiting for the water to drain on the 55 I'd thought I'd post about what's been going on with the 34g.

First off in the 55 I have the 3 biggest fish in it. Two boys probably close to 5 1/2 total and my newest fish from a few months back. A She, about 5 3/4 total.

In the 34g my two smallest fish. The black moor, male. And the female pearlscale. Both about 4 inches total and playing nice this time around. :)

5-31-13 8:30am Ammonia .25 maybe a bit darker Nitrite 1.0 Nitrate 0 to a 5.0 ? Did a huge wc as far as I could without taking the fish out of tank.

5-31 8:00pm Ammonia .50 Nitrite .25 Nitrate 0 to 5.0 ? a dark yellow w/orange yellow color

6-1 Had a friend over so didn't get to tank until later. At 4:00 pm did a wc due to results below

6-1 just before 4pm Ammonia .25 Nitrite 2.0 This is why I did the huge wc Nitrate 0

6-1 I think around 8:30pm Ammonia .50 Nitrite .25 maybe 1.0 Nitrate 0

6-2 today 2:30pm Ammonia .50 Nitrite looks like a 2.0 more bright then dull purple Nitrate 5.0

I did a Huge WC as low as I can with the fish still in tank.

I have been dealing with this tank also ever since I set it back up I think on the 29 with the two fish in it.

I hope I'm doing okay with it. The fish seem to be "just okay" the pearlscale likes to hang out in the front corner at times. I have been feeding them very sparingly.

The 55 tank is almost done with salt and prime. I'll ck param tomorrow.

We'll also want to do the same with the salt for the 34 gallon, since nitrites are peaking too fast and too high to rely only on Prime. You can add salt to the tank now, if you wish, without doing a WC. :)

Since I'm waiting for the water to drain on the 55 I'd thought I'd post about what's been going on with the 34g.

First off in the 55 I have the 3 biggest fish in it. Two boys probably close to 5 1/2 total and my newest fish from a few months back. A She, about 5 3/4 total.

In the 34g my two smallest fish. The black moor, male. And the female pearlscale. Both about 4 inches total and playing nice this time around. :)

5-31-13 8:30am Ammonia .25 maybe a bit darker Nitrite 1.0 Nitrate 0 to a 5.0 ? Did a huge wc as far as I could without taking the fish out of tank.

5-31 8:00pm Ammonia .50 Nitrite .25 Nitrate 0 to 5.0 ? a dark yellow w/orange yellow color

6-1 Had a friend over so didn't get to tank until later. At 4:00 pm did a wc due to results below

6-1 just before 4pm Ammonia .25 Nitrite 2.0 This is why I did the huge wc Nitrate 0

6-1 I think around 8:30pm Ammonia .50 Nitrite .25 maybe 1.0 Nitrate 0

6-2 today 2:30pm Ammonia .50 Nitrite looks like a 2.0 more bright then dull purple Nitrate 5.0

I did a Huge WC as low as I can with the fish still in tank.

I have been dealing with this tank also ever since I set it back up I think on the 29 with the two fish in it.

I hope I'm doing okay with it. The fish seem to be "just okay" the pearlscale likes to hang out in the front corner at times. I have been feeding them very sparingly.

The 55 tank is almost done with salt and prime. I'll ck param tomorrow.

We'll also want to do the same with the salt for the 34 gallon, since nitrites are peaking too fast and too high to rely only on Prime. You can add salt to the tank now, if you wish, without doing a WC. :)

Thank you. I'll do it now in the 34. In the 34 the pearlscale hangs out in the front bottom of the tank opposite of the red cap hanging out on top of the tank. The pearlscale doesn't look to bad to me. I'm worried some but not as bad as the red cap. Thanks Alex. Going to add salt now. :)

Calling it a night. Will ck water tomorrow morning in both tanks and will post. Thank you again