Christmas Moss

Jeana727

I ordered some Christmas Moss off of Ebay. I received a small plastic packet containing it. It's about 3" X 4" and kind of flat.

What do I do with it? What is the best way to attach it?

I have seen pictures where people have attached it to "stick-like" driftwood & it ended up looking sort of like a tree. Another idea is: I have a good sized piece of driftwood in the Tropical tank....if I use that how would I attach it...would it eventually cover the driftwood?

Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!!

((If anyone has some already can you show me a picture?))

Edited by Jeana727

I'm so jealous--I love Christmas Moss. I have java moss, and I think they're cousins, somehow.

Just take a rubber band, and a small clump of moss, and attach it to the stick, or rock. It'll eventually grow into its own, and you won't see the rubber band anymore. If you attach them in closeish small clumps, when they grow, they'll get tangled in each other, and it can form that nice tree top look. I love tanks with that. :)

I think I'll check if Psmart has a little of that "stick-like" driftwood......I have always admired the ones people have made to look like little trees! I may put a little on the driftwood in my tropical tank......so it would slowly spread?

You don't even have to attach it if you have a decent place to wedge it. That said, it will grow more evenly and spread in a 'slightly quicker fashion' if it is spread out and tied down.

Thanks for the tips! I looked in my big tank & picked out a good size rock that is kinda pretty BUT not my favorite. I tied the whole "pad" of Christmas Moss to it with fishing line. Right now it looks kinda like a BAD TOUPEE!! LOL!! Hopefully eventually it'll attach to the rock & look better. (Was only $4 inc. shipping...so even if the goldies went on a Full Out Attack...I could live with it! LOL) SO FAR they show know interest.

hahah a bad toupee... all I think of is Stan Zbornak :rofl

I have never heard of this Christmas moss (although I'd never really payed much mind to plants)! It has certainly piqued my interest... hhmmm :teehee

I have seen on the internet where different people have literally covered the whole back wall of their tank with it. It is really pretty but I don't know if I want to go THAT far!

I took the rock out again & dabbed a little super glue here & there..now the "toupee" is no longer flapping in the breeze!!

I am pleasantly surprised that the goldies haven't bothered it, I would have lost a bet on THAT!!

So I guess sometime in the next YEAR I'll be able to clip off the fishing line!! :D

We'll see how it works out. I don't have a high powered aquarium light. My tank is totally covered so when I found out how expensive an aquarium light could be my hubby got me a "shop light" & replaced the tube light with a plant light. It has served me just fine. Hopefully it'll be enough for the Christmas Moss!

OOOHHHH! I just googled this plant and it looked like aquatic fern! How pretty. Please post photos! It looks lovely. I might need some! :)

I'll post some pictures later! And guess what...... :help: my goldfish have discovered the Christmas Moss!! :yawn It seems they gave me time to get it attached pretty good......watched it for awhile....then started to PIG OUT!!!!! Where it was pretty flat...now it is very bumpy...where they have snacked & pulled at it.

I guess their tummies are full because RIGHT NOW they aren't EATING IT!!

I'll post some pictures later! And guess what...... :help: my goldfish have discovered the Christmas Moss!! :yawn It seems they gave me time to get it attached pretty good......watched it for awhile....then started to PIG OUT!!!!! Where it was pretty flat...now it is very bumpy...where they have snacked & pulled at it.

I guess their tummies are full because RIGHT NOW they aren't EATING IT!!

Oh no, Jeana, how annoying. Did any of it survive?

Ok....Pics of the Christmas Moss (aka Salad Bar!)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/jeana727/fish-05-25-2013-004.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/jeana727/fish-05-25-2013-003.jpg

Please note that this WAS a fairly decent size rectangular piece when I received it!!!! :feedme

Edited by Jeana727

I'm trying not to laugh at the salad bar comment then the pics of the tiny pieces of moss that is left but... OMG those fishies are naughty! :feedme:SmackBottom:

I think the fish front and center in the first pic is the culprit. Why don't you just let me take him off your hands? You can have your Christmas moss and I can have your fish. :rofl

That's cool jeana. Too bad your fish pigged out on it. :teehee

If you are talking about Jazz, the Calico Fantail....YEP he (she?) was front & center at the Christmas Moss Buffet!!!!

Right now they are hovering over it like they are stuffed but wanna guard it for later! (I think I hear that line "I can't believe I ate the Whole Thing!" coming from Jazz's little goldie mouth!!! Zoey just went over to try "one more bite" but slowly swam away. They all look like they might throw up!!

There is still SOME of the Christmas Moss left.....we'll see if it survives!!

Several of the goldies have swam around with long greenish poops in tow!! I guess THAT is my Christmas Moss!!! :madrant

LOL!!! Christmas Poo!!! I think they are finally leaving the SPARSE bit that is left............oh darn it...TWO of them just swam over and had a bite....Just to let me know they aren't REALLY finished with it!! I am sure!!!!