How did your fish get their name

My goldfish capser got his name because the moment I saw him I said the name capser

And maxwell Edie got his name becuase I read it in a comic book and really like the name

Bettas

Gaston he is just so much like gaston

And Leila the female betta got her name because she is savage with tank mates I remember thinking you savage when she killed my shrimps :rofl

Klaus (Lionhead) got his name because of the Goldfish in American Dad. And Sushi got his name because my wife and I love the stuff!!

My fish just got names that I thought suited their personalities. Cleo because she's such a Diva (after Cleopatra), Cal because I used to call him "Callie", but then I realized he was a boy, and Pumpkin because she's fat and orange. :)

Hhhmmm, let's see.....USUALLY the name just pops into my head when I watch them for a little bit.

Zoey (young Blue Oranda) she is cute & Zoey just fit!

Tigger (young Red Oranda) as he swam around Tigger from Winnie the Pooh came to mind

Raj (young orange & white Oranda) super long tail....seems kinda exotic...Raj fit. (I had the radio on & the talk guy's assistant was named Raj)

Jazz (Calico Fantail) She just looks rather Jazzy to me!! LOL!!

Some just come to me as names that perfectly suited them- Ned, Cleo and Izzy are what come to mind right now.

Others - Hombone and Boomer - were named by my daughter.

Usually we'll each get to name one. But sometimes the power shifts and whoever names them first and/or best wins :P

My children named mine!

Nausicaa and Guntsaa

Twin 1 and Spotty Twin

Princess

Monkeybutt and Monster (they named those after hearing me call them that :rofl )

Ubaga

Kirby got her name from the orange baby Alian thing from the chicken little movie :lol (and a little bit from the pink blimp from super smash bros.)

Dexter got her name from the series dexter as he's a blood splatter analyser and she looks like she has blood drops on her (and I may have been watching the series again at the time :tomuch: )

Periwinkle got his name because... Well he's blue

Bubba got his name because he's a chubba and reminds me of Bubba from Forrest Gump

Monique started off as Mo as she has a moustache lol

Swag because of the way he swims (he's got Swag ;) )

Raven because she's black with big long fins

And Daphnie and Delilah my two black ranchus are so named because they sound feminine :D

Goldie was named by my niece, then 9, when she won Goldie at a fair <sigh>. She tried for months to keep her alive in a fish bowl (with me wailing in the distance and her mom refusing to deal with a proper tank, etc.), until I convinced her that it was in Goldie's best interest for her to come live with me.

Georgia started out as George. I dunno--"he" just looked like a George to me! The good folks at Kokos have told me he's a she, so she is now Georgia, after Georgia O'Keeffe, my favorite artist. :)

And Titus, my BN pleco, looked very much like a Roman gladiator to me. So the name seemed apropos.

Edited by pawsplus

• Supporter

big girl because she's a big girl

chubber chu because she's chubby

spotted chu because he's spotted

Mr Disabled because he's disabled

Leonidis, just because..

Rocky because she's survived so much

black bug because he's black with bug eyes

ms piggy because she eats everything

ruben because he's red.

we're excited :D

I was taking a Greek Mythology course at the time. I named my smallest fish Mnemosyne because she he (I later discovered) looked odd being so pink and with blacked out eyes, very otherworldly. Not wanting to break stride, I named my other fish from the Greek/Roman pantheon as well. Mars with her shiny red, orange and black scales had a very intense look so was given the name of the warrior God. Her personality now that I know her is the complete opposite though. Juno was the pushiest gf I had ever seen. Right from the start she established herself as the head honcho and was bossing everyone around. She also had no qualms about hand feeding. Her mannerisms reminded me so much of her namesakes, no name could have suited her better. Winnipeg is my latest addition to the gf clan and was named because her ventral fins look like wings which somehow turned into Winnipeg. My snail was named Hermione by my sister who also named my baby Betta (not so baby anymore) Chunky because of the way her stomach swelled up like a golf ball after eating.

Edited by Heidi_Rayanne

I took Japanese and Chinese words that describe a particular attribute of each goldfish:

Shishi = Lion(lionhead)

Nishiki = Brocade(calico)

Tatsu = Dragon(dragoneye)

Maruko = Round Fish(ranchu)

Giniro = Silver(oranda)

• Admin

Charlie is cause he reminded me of the golden ticket from the movie "charlie and the chocolate factory"

Sunkist thats cause sha looks like a sunkist orange :lol

Prazi got his name cause I went to the store for prazi and come home with a fish too. Buttons cause of his button eyes. Angel cause her long flowing fins look like angelwings.

My betta Blake cause I love Blake the county singer.

I'm a big fan of Django Reinhardt - whom I just discovered about a year or two ago. Named the kiddies after his songs.

Honeysuckle Rose - queen of the tank, rosey cheeks and SOOO cute

Cloud Castle - cuz he's got a white belly and he's floaty...

You Rascal - cuz he's so naughty, but very smart

Festival - cuz she's very active and a basic orange fantail - like what may be a prize at a festival - she's such a good girl

Baby Django- cuz he's the youngest, his actual name keeps changing cuz I haven't found one to fit him perfect, he's so adorable though

I had my goldfish for over a year and the two of them still had no names. So I was told by my friends and boyfriend that I had to name them. Baby is named such cause he was smaller (now he's the chunkiest of the all!) Basil is probably my favorite herbs to cook with so that was the other :)

My little red cap is Cilantro (AKA Cil) as I tried to stick with the herb theme. But my little white fantail has a heart of orange on his tail and so had to be named Cupid.

My newest guy had to have an herb name. He has a yellow head and black spots so I asked my forum friends what to name him and someone said Lemonpepper. So he is Lemonpepper or LP for short! :D

Edited by Mernany

Sarge got his name cuz he's army green (for now lol) and his wen is like a helmet :rofl

Snowflake is white and at the time, his name was much cuter than all my other fish so it was ironic and funny.

Bugsy (RIP) was a black moor and the gangster name fit in with my other fishes' names.

Fang (RIP) was bought with 2 other fish that I named Spike and Rex haha

My daughter named most of them.

Bugsy, because he's a black moor with big eyes. duh! ha ha Daughter named him.

Cheeto. The Orange Oranda. When we were at the check out at Petsmart buying him the cashier said he looked like a big cheeto. My daughter liked the name and stuck with it. His real name is Cheeto Puff. ha ha

Valentino: The Red Cap Oranda. His name was Lucy but we found out she is really a he. So we renamed him Valentino. The name suited him because he was chasing my female Pearl around until I separated them.

Pearl: The Crown Pearlscale. Very original. ha ha Easy name to remember. Daughter named her.

Hariett: The Tri-Color Oranda. I actually named her because I wanted a bigger fish and wanted an old fashion name for her. I love her name. :)

My Clementine was inspired by the character in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I just always liked the name.

My betta is named Albus also because I liked the name and his blue reminded me of the blue eyes they describe Albus Dumbledore to have.

Flipper- My mom suggested it and I really liked it. However, it turned out to be a self fulfilling prophesy... She is having serious SBD problems :(

Mr T- He has a black mohawk and caudal fins with an orange body. Need I say more.

Skittles- One of my new ranchus

I have 2 lemonhead ranchus that are still unnamed my I'm leaning toward Beatrice for one of them (even though I do not know if its a girl). The other fish I don't know. I'd like a gender neutral name that is whimsy, but haven't found it yet. :idont