Is green a legit goldfish color?

This is more of a "what color am I", but close enough :P My oranda, Sarge, is literally olive green and I was wondering if "green" is the official color name for him...? Some people have called him "bronze", but he's not that brownish. He's a deep green in every light and at all angles. I don't think it can be fry coloring either because he already has breeding stars. Any input is appreciated -- just curious what a hardcore collector/breeder/seller would call this!

3EDAA515-60E5-4D87-8D3D-E4E35216FB76-490

I have no idea about coloring and the such but he is quite the beauty and I do love the deep coloring :)

"green" is the wild coloring. Some goldfish are wild coloring, but most have it as their fry coloring. Some fish take a long time to lose teir baby color.

"green" is the wild coloring. Some goldfish are wild coloring, but most have it as their fry coloring. Some fish take a long time to lose teir baby color.

Ahh! Interesting. That makes me a little sad to know that he will probably change color, but it should be exciting when/if he does :)

I have no idea about coloring and the such but he is quite the beauty and I do love the deep coloring :)

oops double post. Thank you! Some fish just have the greenish tint, but he's very pigmented (for now!)

Ooh, this guy of mine recently turned green before I rehomed him:

ODrlhhO.jpg?1

It puzzled me as well so I looked it up and found some info on the raingarden website:

" All metallic-scale goldfish develop a greenish bronze color during the first weeks of life. This is often called the “wild” color because it is similar to the color of wild Gibel carp. The wild color is produced by a combination of red, yellow and black pigments. Later, at the age of about three months, many metallic-scale goldfish undergo the process of demelanization. During demelanization, first the amount of black pigment intensifies and the overall appearance becomes very dark. Then, the melanin is destroyed leaving only the red and yellow pigment cells behind. The end result is an orange/red or red and white variegated color. Demelanization is a heritable characteristic."

Link to full article on color: http://www.raingarden.us/color.htm

Your oranda seems to have a patch of red/orange on its back underneath that dark area of green ;) maybe. Just a guess haha.

Ooh, this guy of mine recently turned green before I rehomed him:

ODrlhhO.jpg?1

It puzzled me as well so I looked it up and found some info on the raingarden website:

" All metallic-scale goldfish develop a greenish bronze color during the first weeks of life. This is often called the “wild” color because it is similar to the color of wild Gibel carp. The wild color is produced by a combination of red, yellow and black pigments. Later, at the age of about three months, many metallic-scale goldfish undergo the process of demelanization. During demelanization, first the amount of black pigment intensifies and the overall appearance becomes very dark. Then, the melanin is destroyed leaving only the red and yellow pigment cells behind. The end result is an orange/red or red and white variegated color. Demelanization is a heritable characteristic."

Link to full article on color: http://www.raingarden.us/color.htm

Your oranda seems to have a patch of red/orange on its back underneath that dark area of green ;) maybe. Just a guess haha.

Very interesting! I know this fish is at least 7 months old, so he could be a late-bloomer like Allison said. I do see that reddish patch you are talking about...I will keep an eye out for darkening to warn me of a color-change! That little guy is adorable btw :P

He looks really cool green, he might stay. :)

I kind of hope he does :P The other fish he came with at the LFS (I assumed they were fry-mates...maybe not) looked just like him and were the same size but orange, so he could just be an oddball

All features of adult goldfish can take up to 2 years to stabilize. This can include the off the wall colours. It is said that the longer the 'fry green' is on your fish the more stable the final colour change is.

• Supporter

Just want to add they even after 2 years the color can still change.

I have a common (2 really) in the pond that are 10 years old and have changed a few times over the years. One was greenish then bronze and now yelloworange

the other was red and black then red then red and white and now just white.

Edited by Daniel E.

The wild color is beautiful in an aquarium. In the pond, they look black and are virtually invisible against the liner. I have some two year old fish that are still wild colored.

The wild color is beautiful in an aquarium. In the pond, they look black and are virtually invisible against the liner. I have some two year old fish that are still wild colored.

I agree! Sometimes it takes me awhile to find mine in my "planted" tank because he blends in so well. Wild color would be really cool in a pond....invisible like fish in a lake or something!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a green ranchu who looks emerald from the top but his sides are not as vibrant. So yes it is a legit color, but as others have mentioned, usually is related to young fish. I really like the color. I know some people think its drab though.