Shrimpkeeping for Dummies

Hi guys! I'm almost ready for shrimp in the tank I set up in my office. It's a 2.5 gal rectangle. It has sand substrate, one broad-leafed plant (don't recall the name) and a small piece of driftwood. I have a few questions!

First, any general tips for keeping shrimp?

I have Soilent Green for my goldies, will this be good food for them or should I go with another formula?

How often should I do water changes? I'm using a turkey baster as a siphon, thanks to the great suggestion I got on another thread!

How many shrimp should I keep in a tank this size?

Thanks in advance!

I can't wait for photos. However, I know nothing about keeping shrimp. Good luck! :)

Ohh ohh! I know that shrimp love picking through marimo balls!

That's about all the info I've got, though. :rofl

I'm going to start with ghost shrimp to see how they do, and if things go well, some of those cherry red shrimp or one of the red varieties. I'm excited too!!

ghost shrimp may end up attacking red cherries, especially in a tank smaller than 10g. if you wanted multiple species in your tank, I would go with a neocaridina species and a caridina, as they can't interbreed but can cohabit. so for example have a colony of red cherries (neocaridina) and a colony of crystal reds (caridina) - there are many other colour forms of both of these. bearing in mind though that neocaridina shrimp are more hardy than caridina species, so I probably would start out with a neocaridina species and only go for a caridina species when you're more comfortable with shrimp-keeping. though 2.5g is a bit limiting as even though they're tiny shrimp, without predation they can reproduce in ridiculous numbers and you could end up with more than you know what to do with, especially if both species are breeding.

all shrimp love mosses! so grab some java moss, marimo moss balls, weeping moss, anything like that. shrimp and in particular baby shrimp, should you have any, like to pick through them for microorganism dinners. also, as your tank is new, remember to feed them regularly (and remove food debris regularly); when you tank settles after a few months and you have diatoms and algae, you can cut down the feeding as they like to graze on that. my shrimp, in my very well-established tank, only get actual shrimp food (algae wafers, shrimp pellets) once every couple of days or less, as the rest of the time they are being my 'clean up crew', so to speak.

lastly, remember to acclimate them properly! if not then you may experience 'unexpected' deaths even a few weeks on. I know a lot of people do the drip-acclimation method.

Cath, what is drip acclimation?

in short, you literally drip tank water into the water the shrimp came in. the easiest way is to use airline tubing and tie a knot in it until the drip is about 1 drop per second. this way the shrimp acclimate to the different water parameters slowly and steadily.

Thanks for all the tips! I should have known that no aquatic creature is truly low maintenance xD Perhaps I can just keep ghost shrimp, though I don't want them reproducing like crazy. I suppose I can occasionally bring some home and, er...give them to my goldies. Would four or five be all right to keep? Bah, I'm almost tempted to repurpose the 2.5 gal tank and get a 10 gal for a betta and some shrimp.

OK, I did it! Repurposed the 2.5 gallon and set up a 10 gallon. Once I get some more plants going, I'm probably going to get a betta...though I doubt the shrimpies will survive with a betta in the tank. Any tips on that?

Here are a couple videos of the new tank :)

with betta it's really hard to say until you try it. I would test the betta's reaction with cheap shrimp first, so it doesn't hurt your wallet if you end up choosing some sort of nice colour variation of a bee shrimp for $5 per shrimp, and they get systematically hunted down!

with betta it's really hard to say until you try it. I would test the betta's reaction with cheap shrimp first, so it doesn't hurt your wallet if you end up choosing some sort of nice colour variation of a bee shrimp for $5 per shrimp, and they get systematically hunted down!

Thanks! Maybe it'll be a win! :D I'm hoping to just add all kinds of hiding places for them. I was considering pricier shrimp, but I really do like the ghosties xD The woman at the pet store was cracking me up talking about how having a ghost shrimp escape the tank is like someone losing a contact lens. "No one move!!" :rofl