Sign in to follow this  
Scintillation

What breed is this?

DSC_0122_zpse19b06d3.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what type of goldfish he is (the big one) so i know what he needs but i haven't been able to find anything on him. If anyone knows, that would be amazing.

Thanks in advanced, Chinua.

That would be a lionhead :thumbs:

A little young to tell, still... but I am willing to bet s/he will be a lionhead, due to the straight back. possibly a lionchu, if s/he grows a lot of wen, as well as a chubby, little belly. :)

E; posted at same time as Koko. You go, posting ninja!

Edited by JamieMonster

Looks like a young Lionhead to me!

ETA: whoa ninja'd times 2!

Edited by Chai

Thanks, guys. That's what i was leaning towards but he didn't look like anything i had seen from pictures.

Adorable lionhead :)

Aww, you have an adorable lionhead. :)

It looks like a VERY young lionhead, just losing fry coloring? Head growth will come in with age. Feed lots of bloodworms to help develop the head growth as well.

He/she is a little cutie. :)

A little young to tell, still... but I am willing to bet s/he will be a lionhead, due to the straight back. possibly a lionchu, if s/he grows a lot of wen, as well as a chubby, little belly. :)

Jamie, my understanding is that a lionchu is a RANCHU with the wen typically seen on lionheads. So, this fish, being that it has a rather straight back, is more of a lionhead, and can't really be a lionchu.

Here's a really good post by Sunking on the differences between lionhead versus ranchu

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96285-the-differences-between-lionhead-and-ranchu/?p=1139958

and the differences between ranchus :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96331-three-types-of-ranch/?p=1140703

Jamie, my understanding is that a lionchu is a RANCHU with the wen typically seen on lionheads. So, this fish, being that it has a rather straight back, is more of a lionhead, and can't really be a lionchu.

Here's a really good post by Sunking on the differences between lionhead versus ranchu

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96285-the-differences-between-lionhead-and-ranchu/?p=1139958

and the differences between ranchus :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96331-three-types-of-ranch/?p=1140703

See, that is what I had always thought, too. I recently saw people calling straight backed fish, lacking the dorsal, who had a smaller wen, but big belly also "lionchu" fish, as the focus was on the belly, rather than the head, even with the straight back, and therefore sharing the characteristics of both varieties of fish. So :hmm . LOL

This is what Peter Ponzio, who is a judge for the American Goldfish Association, and one of the founding members of that society.

What then, is a Lionchu? Simply put, the Lionchu is a cross between established examples of Lionheads and Ranchus, combining aspects from both varieties in very specific ways. People generally like the curving back, broad back and tail placement of the Ranchu, and the large head growth of the Lionhead. Breeders have developed fish which combine these characteristics, and have done so very well. The number of Lionchus being entered in competition has skyrocketed, and many fish have taken Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion honors.

The GFSA and AGA have not officially recognized the Lionchu as a separate breed, but with more fish being shown in shows, will probably consider a special designation before long. Shown below are some recent examples of Lionchus, which have been entered in fish shows.

It looks like a VERY young lionhead, just losing fry coloring? Head growth will come in with age. Feed lots of bloodworms to help develop the head growth as well.

Thanks for suggesting bloodworms, I'll pick some up in the next day or so. :feedme