Protecting plants?

leross04

I have a anubius that is in great shape, is there something I can put around it so the goldies won't eat it? It has a bloom it's so pretty I don't want it to get destroyed.

Anubias are very tough and a lot of goldfish keepers have them because they're one of the few plants most goldies can't/won't eat. I have several in my tank and my fish don't bother them but I know I've seen some members post that their fish do. Do yours have a history of eating them? I'd keep an eye on it but I think you should be good unless you happen to have a very bratty fish :)

I've never gotten one of mine to bloom before! Congrats, that must be pretty!

Sadly my goldfish ate practically every plant suggested :( my solution was to put it into my sisters planted 20 gallon

Maybe you could get some sort of netting? Like the bags that hold media would probably work

• Supporter

mine are destroyed!.. there is nothing my group of vultures won't rip to pieces.. i have to keep rotating the plants that i put in the tank, otherwise, nothing stands a chance of surviving...

My monsters will eat just about everything. Short of putting it behind a glass wall, I don't think anything is really goldie proof.

In the past, I've used rigid netting (something that they cannot get tangled in), and wrapped that over a plant pot. I dunno how that could work for an anubias though.

If you have bought any of the BIG bags of glass marbles (from Michaels craft shop), that's the netting that I reuse for plant rescue. It's really really stiff, so it makes a hard dome around the plant, without you having to worry about them getting stuck in it.

My monsters will eat just about everything. Short of putting it behind a glass wall, I don't think anything is really goldie proof.

In the past, I've used rigid netting (something that they cannot get tangled in), and wrapped that over a plant pot. I dunno how that could work for an anubias though.

If you have bought any of the BIG bags of glass marbles (from Michaels craft shop), that's the netting that I reuse for plant rescue. It's really really stiff, so it makes a hard dome around the plant, without you having to worry about them getting stuck in it.

I know I say this every time, but your ingenuity on goldfish plant protection never ceases to astound me, Tammy. :rofl

If your tank is large enough you could always use a tank divider and put the plants you want to protect on the other side of the divider

I know I say this every time, but your ingenuity on goldfish plant protection never ceases to astound me, Tammy. :rofl

It's necessity, darling. Absolute necessity. :rofl3

Wow, I guess I am LUCKY....(turns computer screen away from nosey goldfish!) but mine DO NOT mess with my Anubias. I have even been able to split up my BIG Anubias into THREE separate plants. And they are ALL thriving!! This is amazing as ALL other plants I have had in the past have been seen as a SALAD BAR!!