I think I killed Sam

Or something... It is our big water change day and I was keeping a visual on Sam the nerite most of the time. Towards the end, when I was replacing hoses and water, I lost track of what I was doing (people were asking me for things). When I finished, he wasn't there anymore. I can't find him in the trash, tank or around the tank. Sigh.

Maybe he is just hiding? They are surprisingly fast sometimes. I even think mine climbed out sometimes because I won't see one for hours and then suddenly they reappear. Do you have gravel or sand? My mystery snails bury themselves sometimes.

Nerites really are consummate escape artists. I've not seen mine for days at a time in the past, only to have them show up at a later date. :)

Thanks for the comfort guys. I'm clueless. No substrate, no decorations (a fish prison, my husband says) and I've taken apart the filter again and gone through the garbage.. I do hope that he has rendered himself invisible.

Is there any way your snail could have crawled out of the tank? I've seen one of mine on the outside of my HOB filter before. :no: Have you searched around the tank itself in case he fell onto the floor or something weird like that?

Sam's back!!!! You all were right; he just magically appeared on the top of the tank this morning. We plopped him back in the water and he immediately started squishing around, eating algae.

On another note, last night my husband yelled from the kitchen "I think I found your pet." I ran in and found him staring at a garden slug on the floor. :rofl2

Phew! That's a relieve! Silly snail. He missed his house.

A slug. LOL.

No, garden slug was thrown out the window - although we did start talking about how the beautiful snails outside - pink and yellow garden snails - are pests and the nearly featureless Sam is a beloved member of the aquarium.