Fast? Or feast?

Kat_M

Fast? Or feast? You guys tell me, because that is what is left of a plant that was in the tank for the past 6 months and remained relatively untouched...until yesterday!

IMG-20130428-01045_zps4501e7b1.jpg

IMG-20130428-01043_zps96c9bad3.jpg

IMG-20130428-01044_zpsc67e0961.jpg

• Supporter

they look like rotting leaves to me.. that plants needs a pruning. you might want to take it out every now and again and give it an overnight fertilizer boost.

Really? It was getting fertilized on regular basis, once in a couple of weeks. I do WC almost every day and that involves picking up the plants when hoovering. I am almost certain that the plant did not look like this two days ago. I mean if it was like this I would have got rid of it as it is really unsightly. Unless I am going blind :yikes But I did noticed some brown algae patches on it. Is it possible to have algae overgrowth in the absence of the filter? I am waiting for a new external filter to arrive and have two internal filter working but they are set on low (otherwise the current is too strong for one of my fish). I have also noticed a small rise in Nitrites. is it possible that the algae attracted the fish? Not to mentioned that I cleaned heaps of green poo this morning so they must have eaten something.

I checked all the plants this morning. Pond weed is nice and green as ever, but another plant (no idea how its called) also has some patches of green algae. But it is not rotten by all means (or at least i think so as leaves are firm to touch and managed to scrape off the brown patches). I am bit worried as I did not have issues with algae before.

I also think it has started dying off. The browning and overall opaqueness of several leaves indicates this.

Honestly, I don't know why people worry about algae, it is a wonderful organism in terms of goldfish dietary requirements. :)

Pruning the wilting and dying leaves helps the overall plant. Then the plant isn't wasting time on keeping that leaf alive and just creates a new one. Browning leaves don't always mean a mineral deficiency, many plants grow like palms where the base or root is strengthened by the external leaves dying.

Since goldfish are foragers they eat both dying and rotting foods as well as fresh leaves.