Can I get a bristlenose pleco? Or maybe two?

I found someone on craigslist with a bunch of juvenile bn plecos in red, green dragon, and albino (in both short and long fin varieties too!)

I am tempted to get one or two if space allows :P

I have a 40G breeder with two oranges. I've been looking around on how to stock bn plecos, but I'm still not sure since most sources keep them with tropicals and those don't produce as much waste as goldfish D: Aqadvisor says it's okay, but I don't even know how reliable it is...

There are several people on this forum who keep BN plecos with there goldfish. Some people even get them to breed. :) They do produce a good amount of waste from what I understand. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck.

There are several people on this forum who keep BN plecos with there goldfish. Some people even get them to breed. :) They do produce a good amount of waste from what I understand. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck.

:o I'll probably end up with just one then. Thank you anyway :)

I keep them together. No issues if the plex are fed enough. Just be sure to quarantine them a good long time.

How many do you think I could keep though? I'm really liking the super red and the green dragon ones.

So all you have in the 40 is bn's? See how many gallons the tank really holds. I am guessing more like 33 gallons. That means 3 to 4. Keeping in mind you need lots of hiding places and someplace to go with the babies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So all you have in the 40 is bn's? See how many gallons the tank really holds. I am guessing more like 33 gallons. That means 3 to 4. Keeping in mind you need lots of hiding places and someplace to go with the babies.

Angie,

Bubbles said she has two orandas in the 40B, but her autocorrect changed it two oranges. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I have a 40G breeder with two oranges.

Angie,

Bubbles said she has two orandas in the 40B, but her autocorrect changed it two oranges. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I have a 40G breeder with two oranges.

:doh11: I HATE it when it does that :P Sorry, yes, I meant oranges lol. Thank you for correcting it haha.

You meant ORANGES? :yikes:rofl :rofl :rofl

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Oranges are good :D:rofl

:lol3 Oh my. I like oranges too but I really don't have two oranges floating around in my 40G lol! :blush: I have two orandas****

Soooo how many plecos can I have with my oranges orandas? hehe.

I'd say 1 BN, and no more fish in the tank. BN are about as dirty as goldfish. Also, you need to have wood in the tank for them to rasp on.

Let us know what you decide to do!

:D

Edited by Acro

I recently got an albino LF BN Pleco :). He is in my ten gallon. He is so tiny and cute!! :wub: good luck! Can't wait to see which one you choose :).

I recently got an albino LF BN Pleco :). He is in my ten gallon. He is so tiny and cute!! :wub: good luck! Can't wait to see which one you choose :).

I love the way those look! But I just painted my tank white so I probably wouldn't be able to find him/her very well. I'll have pics up if the seller lets me pick 'em up tomorrow :D

In that case no BN's. You well need a bigger tank.

Oh I see ): Can I know why this is? I've learned that they do produce a lot of waste so exactly how do you stock BN pleco's? Like, the general stocking rule (with and/or without goldfish). I have an empty 40 breeder whose sole purpose is keeping my stand steady at the moment so if anything, I can put him/her there once he/she grows bigger :)

Bn's need about 5 gallons each. But like I said I am sure your tank does not hold 40 gallons. Maybe 34 and you have two orandas they need 30 to 40 for themselves. That does not leave 5 for the pleco. Better safe then sorry.

I differ in opinion with Angie.

When we said 15-20 gallons per fish, we are talking about the stated tank size, not the actual amount of water it holds. Anyway, weren't you planning to add a fourth fish to your 55 gallon, Angie?

I think one BN is doable in that 40 breeder.

Bn's need about 5 gallons each. But like I said I am sure your tank does not hold 40 gallons. Maybe 34 and you have two orandas they need 30 to 40 for themselves. That does not leave 5 for the pleco. Better safe then sorry.

But isn't the 40 breeder actually a little more than 40 (most people say around 44 gallons). My tank is bare bottom with three potted plants so I think I'd be right at the limit line though, right?

I differ in opinion with Angie.

When we said 15-20 gallons per fish, we are talking about the stated tank size, not the actual amount of water it holds. Anyway, weren't you planning to add a fourth fish to your 55 gallon, Angie?

I think one BN is doable in that 40 breeder.

I thank you both for your opinions either way :) They are very helpful. I feel pretty good about adding one BN into my tank right now so if anything, I'll bump up my water changes an extra 10% or so. I just can't turn away from those cute bristly noses :P

You have to messure the water lines. Not the tank. Does that make since? To see how many gallons it really holds.

I think I kind of get it. So if I get the measurements of the bare tank with water, measuring just up to the waterline and subtracting the mm of glass to get the volume and then subtracting volume displacement of the plants somehow, I'll get how many gallons my tank is really holding?

Yes that is what I was saying.

Alex nope no more goldfish for me. I have to think of the ones I have and they need all that space. lol But sure did like that white Oranda. Still can't stop thinking about it.

Edited by Hidr