Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

My improved pond for 2013. Pics all year long :)

That is a cool looking pond. Love the barrel features. Is there a reason why you decided to dedicate half the pond to being the shallow shelf as opposed to having a shelf all the way around? I mean I don't see a problem and definitely not saying you did anything wrong. When I did mine I put larger shelves on one end so I could have large flat stones for my grand kids to be able to sit and view. the other end have much smaller shelves just for plants. I also didn't go nearly as deep as you did so it cut back on my total size. The size of the pond is about the same as your with mine being about 9x9. My shelf is just over 1 foot deep and the deeper part is a little over 2 feet deep. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of your pond and other ponds on this forum. My only problem is I didn't find this forum before I started my dig. :)

I guess I would say I made a deep end instead of a deep middle because the deep end was already the lower ground. The ground slopes down away from the house so i was able to get about a 5 foot depth by digging down 3.5 feet and building up 1.5 feet. I had to build up so the pond would be level.

This is really looking amazing!! The plants look wonderful and the fish must be having a blast!! Good job!

Any update on this amazing pond? I love everything about it!

Any update on this amazing pond? I love everything about it!

I will take some pictures this evening. Some of the plants didn't survive the winter. The fish are spawning like crazy so the water is due for a change. Hopefully the garden centers will have their pond plants in soon. I want to get some floating hyacinth and check out the potted plants as well.

Awesome, thank you! I have a 300g rubbermaid tub and a large part of the yard for 'my plant area' and would love to incorporate a pond set up like this. Do you have a thread on the build and filter set up?

Awesome, thank you! I have a 300g rubbermaid tub and a large part of the yard for 'my plant area' and would love to incorporate a pond set up like this. Do you have a thread on the build and filter set up?

If you go back about 2 years in the pond forum you will probably find a thread about building the pond. To be honest, all I did with the filters was drill a bunch of holes towards the end of the hose, run it to the bottom of the barrel, and dump rocks on it. What I should have done was attached it to PVC in a circular shape in the bottom of the barrel with holes drilled in the pvc to get more even water distribution.

I love how it has matured. It's a beautiful feature and really adds to the home. Bravo!

It's just great, Jason.  And why do other people get summer?!   :help:

It's just great, Jason. And why do other people get summer?! :help:

It's all latitude, baby :D

Edited by Arctic Mama

I love your property.  Its so tidy and open...nice way to keep in touch with all of your neighbors.  People around here don't do that.

The pond looks wonderfully peaceful, I'd probably sit out there every morning all summer long drinking my coffee.

Tested the water at the bottom and tested the water coming out of the filter last night. Tested for ammonia and nitrate. All 0 :)

ed27d9b760c4fdc62762bb3665d77464.jpg

Wow! Loving it.

I really love how goldfish school together in ponds :popcorn

I love your property.  Its so tidy and open...nice way to keep in touch with all of your neighbors.  People around here don't do that.

The pond looks wonderfully peaceful, I'd probably sit out there every morning all summer long drinking my coffee.

Id definitely be doing this too Reds!