PraziPro fluke treatment

Tithra told me to start a thread when I got some PraziPro to treat my one sick fish and the others as a preventative. Can someone help me get started? I saw the post on Prazi schedules...should I do one of those?

Yep, start one of the prazi schedules. Whichever one you choose, the first round you should bring the salt up to 0.3% in 12 hour increments. Once the salt is up to that level, double dose prazi. After the 1st round and water change, you can lower the salt to 0.1% and use the normal dose of prazi. Do 4-6 rounds. Have you ever treated for flukes before?

No, I've never treated before :( I have a 0.25ppm ammonia level....I don't think I can add salt, right? Fang is looking really bad. Should I do a water change first?

Yes, do a big water change first. Are you using prime or amquel as your water conditioner? Prime/amquel detoxifies up to 1ppm of ammonia for 24 hours. Is your tank cycled?

Yes, do a big water change first. Are you using prime or amquel as your water conditioner? Prime/amquel detoxifies up to 1ppm of ammonia for 24 hours. Is your tank cycled?

And if you are using Prime, your API test may still show a positive result for ammonia even if the Prime has neutralized it.

I'm using Prime. So if I replace the water and add that, it will make ammonia ok? Ok, I will do a big water change and then add enough Prazi according to the bottle for round 1? And add 0.1% salt?

I'm using Prime. So if I replace the water and add that, it will make ammonia ok? Ok, I will do a big water change and then add enough Prazi according to the bottle for round 1? And add 0.1% salt?

Yes, by then a moderator will have chimed in to guide you through the rest of the process.

Wait, I have snails.....do I have to remove them before I add salt?

Yes. Remove the snails, please. Put them in a container that you can easily do one hundred percent daily water changes on. This will help flush things out of the snails' shells. :) Make sure it has a breathable lid, too. We don't want escapes!

An empty fish bowl would work fine. :) I used some old window screen for a top when I qt'd my snail. If you have some sort of screen or mesh and a rubber band you might be able to fashion a lid.

You could also add it to the leg of a pair of pantyhose and hang it in the tank.

Please make sure your salt is just 'sodium chloride' and has no other additives or anti clumping agents. To make things cheap, you can pick up a container of 'Morton's Canning and Pickling salt' at your grocery store. A math note: When you measure this, you'll need to multiply the number of teaspoons you'd normally use by .75 and use that many because the canning salt is finer grained than aquarium salt. Alex explains this in the second link below.

Salt Links

I actually just picked up some NaCl canning and pickling salt a few weeks ago just in case :) I think I will do the pantyhose method, that sounds easy enough!

I actually prefer that method. If you can, hang the pantyhose near the outflow of a filter. It will dissolve a bit faster that way. ;)

edit: Since you're using salt and have a little bit of ammonia, you'll need to keep a very close monitor on the parameters. A mod will have to confirm this, but I believe you can dose with prime daily to keep everything safe.

Edited by ChelseaM

Even if I don't double dose the Prazi? I was gonna use the 5-day schedule and the bottom says 0.3% if you double dose. Should I be double dosing? Ahhhh this is complicated

0.3% treats external parasites as well as acts as a healing aid during the first round of flukes. Since you've stated your fish haven't gone through a fluke treatment before, it's best to use this dosage to treat other external parasites as well :)

Even if I don't double dose the Prazi? I was gonna use the 5-day schedule and the bottom says 0.3% if you double dose. Should I be double dosing? Ahhhh this is complicated

I agree so I'll try and break it down for you based on my own experience :)

I am currently on the 5 day Prazi schedule per this link: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/ I'm at round 6. YAY!

I had to start all this because I had an Ich outbreak. Ich treatment requires a 0.3% salt concentration and an increase in water temp to about 78F or so. this is because it speeds up the lifecycle to make them free-float and get killed by the salt in the water. Because you don't have Ich, the temp increase shouldn't be required.

Seeing you're dosing your entire tank, I would do the 0.3% salt concentration dosage (which as you stated is double doses). It would be the same treatment schedule, just double dosing. This will kill a couple of birds with one stone.

If you can't afford enough Prazi to do the double dosing you should be fine only doing a 1% salt concentration for the Prazi schedule, and then upping to 3% once you're done with the prazi treatment.

As an aside, personally I don't hang the salt. I add the salt to a plastic water bottle, add some hot water and *shake shake shake*. Once fully mixed, I then also add cold water to the bottle or if I have time just more water and leave it to drop to room temp. I then empty it under the filter flow so it can be evenly distributed.

Try not to stress abotu the ammonia reading either. I have the same problem (my tap water puts out ammonia at 2 but my BB helps drop it back down to 0.25) and my fish are doing, pardon the pun, swimmingly :)

Edited by Sykadelic

Thank you two! So if I were to "double dose", does that mean I add double Prazi each time I add it or just at the beginning...? Sorry this is so weird for me. I've never done salt or any treatment besides ich so it's a double whammy!