Sign in to follow this  
Saraphim

Afraid to fill my tank. Will it shatter?

I just bought a 55 gallon, steel aquarium stand from Petco. I set it up today, and was incredibly excited to start filling up my tank, but now I am terrified to do so. I noticed that there is a HUGE gap between the bottom of my tank and the stand. The corners of the tank fit flush against the little foam stickers that came in the package that the instructions tell you to place in each corner, but the center of the tank is up in the air. I even took those stickers off, and the corners of the tank were then flush with tank stand itself, but then I noticed that the tank was a little wobbly on the stand, and the gap was still there. This gap is the same on both sides. I can see straight through the gap to my wall on the other side, as seen in this picture.

I don't know what to do. Will this put strange stress on the base of my aquarium and eventually cause it to leak, or crack, or even shatter altogether? How will this effect my tank in the long run, and what can I do to prevent any future catastrophic events? I just got this stand... should I take it back and try something else? I'm really worried, and completely at a loss. :(

Any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG_20130517_235219_zps0c1914c7.jpg

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I'm having a hard time visualising this. I would assume the stand is designed to support the weight if it was sold as an aquarium stand. Are you able to post another photo; preferably of the entire stand?

Even with a gap that appears to be unsupported, they are often engineered to support strenuous loads. Take, for example, cantilevering. More often than not a cantilevered balcony or table looks unsupported; however, through a little design/engineered ingenuity, weight loads are sufficiently carried by an anchored beam without the need for further bracing. If you're really worried, then the final solution might be to return it and construct (or buy) a new stand.

Edited by dan in aus

I took two more pictures. I hope these can give you a better idea of the problem. I don't know. Maybe I'm worried about nothing? After all, the corners are supported. Still, I have read that the entire base of a glass aquarium should be fully supported to avoid putting stress on the base in odd places. Perhaps a styrofoam sheet under that base might fill the gap and offer support?

IMG_20130518_014145_zpsbb007e4e.jpg

IMG_20130518_014216_zpsb27c2247.jpg

Did you crank the screws as tight as they go? It sounds as though the stand hasn't been tightened if the gap is 'huge'. Doing so will make the middle bars more flush with the top edge of the side pieces. If you overtighten, though, you'll put too much stress on the screws, so don't push them beyond what the tool can tighten them to.

I have the same stand and tank set up, as well as the forty breeder version. With all of the stands in this model there is a minor gap, and I've never had any trouble with it.

Edit: yep. Looks exactly like what I have going on. You shouldn't see any trouble. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

Phew. Thank you, ChelseaM. You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue, lol. I did tighten the bolts as best as I could. I even had my big and strong father help me out. :) If your tanks are doing well, I can put my mind at ease. I had a 29 gallon sitting on a dresser and it had about the same issues, except on a smaller scale, and I had no problem with leaks or anything there. I just worried, because 650 pounds is a lot to hold, and I would hate to see that much water eventually end up on my floor, haha. But thank you, very much, for the reassurance. I do feel a lot better. :)

Once all of that water is in there, everything will settle as well and the gap will appear smaller too. :)

I'm glad I could help.

Thank you for the photos, Saraphim. I'm glad it has been sorted and Chelsea was able to help you. :)

After all, the corners are supported. Still, I have read that the entire base of a glass aquarium should be fully supported to avoid putting stress on the base in odd places.

To clarify, this is not the case. Whilst a frameless aquarium should be thoroughly supported, a tank with a frame does not require the same base support. The black frame elevates the bottom pane of glass off any surface you will place it on. Subsequently, provided the frame is supported adequately, your tank will be supported.

If you're really worried, you can add a sheet of Styrofoam underneath to absorb all of the spaces, although your tank will be fine on that stand like others have said.

I am also assuming your tank has a center brace across the underside of the middle of the bottom glass pane, right? This is built in with the frame and is the main support for that glass pane.

I have a very similar tank and stand setup, also 55g. It all works out fine though :)

Good luck with your new tank and stand! :)

u must put a layer of polyfoam board to cushion between the tank base and the stand..

this will cushion any particle (like a gravel) or uneven surface (like the welding of the steel stand that is to hold the glass base)

u can also use a child playmat foam like i did..

it has to be 10mm thick, that what we practice over here

do not fill up till u put this polyfoam or stylofoam board

u might get away if it didnt break but the gap tells u to do something to it...that will put u at ease

Edited by dankriscurly

Some fish tank companies (like Juwel) warn you not to put anything under them.. I would check your tank "handbook"

Yes, as dan said, framed glass tanks are fine supported at the corners. Acrylic tanks, though, need support all along the bottom. (Just mention this in case it helps others reading the thread.)

Thank you all, for the feedback. :) This has been very helpful. The tank does have that center brace for the bottom glass pane. The glass is definitely already supported by the black frame. I was just worried that there might be some undesirable side effects from not having that plastic black frame supported by the stand all the way around.

I think I might cut a sheet of styrofoam down to size so that only the black frame would have that extra support and not any of the glass, just to be safe.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm glad that I signed up for Koko's. It's wonderful being able to come here and ask questions. <3

Edited by Saraphim

If you're really worried about it, you can lay down a strip of FunFoam cut to fit for each side, that should fill that little gap nicely and it's a very cheap solution. It comes in black at any craft store for under a dollar per sheet, and you probably would only need one or two. :)

As it is though it seems fine. 55's have lots of bracing on them. :D

We demand pictures when it's all set up!

The FunFoam is a good idea. Thank you. :) And I will definitely be posting some pictures! Have some new fish and a Fluval 306 canister on the way. Super excited!