Sign in to follow this  
bubbles22

Green water ): Can't see fish or beautiful plants

I upgraded to a 40 gallon breeder for my two orandas a couple weeks ago ( I decided to rehome my third one because I wanted my fish to have lots of space to grow and my friend has been begging me for him anyway so why not :P).

I had all three go through 4 rounds of prazi pro in my old 29 gallon before moving them. I'm not sure how but my cycle was interrupted.

I ran my AC110 on that 29 gallon as well and when I moved tanks, I added the bio media from the 29G's original AC70 all into the AC110. So now my AC110 has all the bio media from my AC70( that was running for perhaps 5 months).

Not sure what happened but it seems like I am in the middle of re-cycling my tank in the 40 gallon. It's been almost three weeks and water parameters as of this moment is: Ammonia - 0ppm, Nitrites - 2.0ppm, and Nitrates - 5ppm. I've been doing 30% water changes 2X a day when I am busy and on other days when I am not, I do a 50% WC. Water is being changed every day. The Nitrites are very alarming, I know ): But with the water changes and dosing Amquel plus every day, they are getting along just swimmingly it seems.

BUT NOW THE WATER IS GREEN.

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5nVzqMUQRs

I have about 84 watts of light going on in the tank. I leave them on for 8 hours a day, sometimes less since the green water started. I dose excel every other day and only added flourish the first day I introduced the plants. The green water started last week and I just got the plants about three days ago.

I understand there is something in my tank that is off balance to cause the green water but I don't know what.

Try 2 on 2 off 2 on 2 off etc

Or 4 on 4 off for a total of 8 hours on.

Failing that, UV.

I have quad t5-ho's on my 40b, but only use two at a time. I only keep my lights on for six hours a day, and my plants grow great. :)

Try 2 on 2 off 2 on 2 off etc

Or 4 on 4 off for a total of 8 hours on.

Failing that, UV.

Sounds like I need a timer lol. Thank you, I shall give it a try.

I have quad t5-ho's on my 40b, but only use two at a time. I only keep my lights on for six hours a day, and my plants grow great. :)

Were there problems for you when you kept it on longer than six? (hence why you settled for six hours a day? :o)

Were there problems for you when you kept it on longer than six? (hence why you settled for six hours a day? :o)

No, actually. I just followed the advice on FishtankTv's youtube channel, because he said six hours a day is *plenty*. I do struggle with nitrates though, and I think that's my never-ending battle with diatoms. Never had green water problems, though.

I don't know about green water. Some people said that it is excellent and others have said they don't want it. Goldfish keeping is real confusing. D:

I don't know about green water. Some people said that it is excellent and others have said they don't want it. Goldfish keeping is real confusing. D:

Well, it's really not confusing.

It CAN be very good for your goldfish, BUT you can't really see your fish while they are in the green. So, it's really a personal preference thing.

You don't HAVE to have green water, but it can be very beneficial, if you choose to cultivate it.

Well, it's really not confusing.

It CAN be very good for your goldfish, BUT you can't really see your fish while they are in the green. So, it's really a personal preference thing.

You don't HAVE to have green water, but it can be very beneficial, if you choose to cultivate it.

Green water, here I come. :D

This is exactly how my tank looks after about 3-4 days after a 100% WC... Any luck? I would love to know what you do to get rid of yours. I hate mine. My goldfish don't like it.

Keep the green, you may not like it, but the fish do!!!!!

How funny. I'm trying to cultivate it for my Flipper to help with SBD. I bet your fish are in heaven.

I just bought a $32.98 Sun Sun in eBay! WOOT! I can't wait for my water to be clean and clear again :D! I can't remember the last time my water wasn't green! And my fish don't like the green water. They can't really tolerate it. They get ich and bottom sit when it gets too green :(. Well my sun sun will be here on either Friday or Saturday :D! So excited! And the bulbs are 13 watt. I can buy a 2 pack of them in eBay for 17 bucks! I just have to see how it works :). I will let you know!