Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

I FINALLY GOT A TEST KIT! :D

Do i test my water before or after a water change?

Do i test my water before or after a water change?

I do it before. Then, based on the results I decide if I need to do a larger % than usual. If any levels are high, I test again after doing a large water change.

I just want to add that you should make sure the test tubes are completely dry before you reuse them. If you rinse them and put them back in the little box without drying them first, they will mess up your next test. This actually happened to me when I was testing as my tank cycled. The bit of leftover water in the tube contaminated by reading so it read 0.5ppm when it was really 0ppm. So air-dry or towel-dry :)

Edited by LauraThe3xplora

You also want to be real careful you don't clink the little bottles together by accident. The glass is real thin and it won't take much for them to either break, chip, or crack. When I first got mine I must have shaken my first test to hard or had a tight grip on the little bottle. I put a small chip on top. I was so mad at myself because it was brand new. I guess I don't know my own strength. ha ha Congratulations on getting an API Test Kit and Media pads. You will save lots of money. :)

You also want to be real careful you don't clink the little bottles together by accident. The glass is real thin and it won't take much for them to either break, chip, or crack. When I first got mine I must have shaken my first test to hard or had a tight grip on the little bottle. I put a small chip on top. I was so mad at myself because it was brand new. I guess I don't know my own strength. ha ha Congratulations on getting an API Test Kit and Media pads. You will save lots of money. :)

Oh man, me too! I tried to put a cap on one one time and I missed and knocked it over. It smashed into 1000 pieces and my dog ended up finding a chunk of glass I had missed and tried to eat it later on. Yikes!

Thank for the tips! I need to be careful because i tend to have a tight grip when they say "shake vigorously". Do they sell glass tubes separately? Because I clicked 2 bottles on accident and dropped them (but i wasn't that bad theyre still fine)