Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

I FINALLY GOT A TEST KIT! :D

Yeah, as you can tell, I am reallt excited that now I dont need to wait for my mom to take me to Petco whenever she wants to check my water! :D I also gor filter pads. No more expensive cartridges.

Okay, so now how do I test my water?

Woot ! Thats great news ! To test your water there should be and instruction manual with numbered steps , make sure you follow the instructions exactly to get an accurate reading !

Happy testing ;)

The kit will have a booklet of directions. Since each test is different, you'll need to follow the separate directions for each test. :)

YAY for test kits!!!

:rockon Now you get to feel like a little chemist. :rofl

:Congrats:

That's a huge deal! :)

Read your book from cover to cover. Then read each test as you do it. It's going to take several tries to memorize everything, but don't worry--you'll get there! :heart

Congratulations on your shiny new test kit!

Tell us the brand name and model of the test kit. As stated by everyone, each test kit is different. There are drops and strips, for example. Read the manual cover to cover. When you are done read it again.

API test kit, Im reading the booklet now.

Also, do I have to wear gloves?

They can be corrosive and irritant,.

API test kit, Im reading the booklet now.

Also, do I have to wear gloves?

They can be corrosive and irritant,.

I don't wear gloves, but I also handle the bottles carefully. I do my testing at the tank either; I'm always careful to get my water samples first, and then test far away from my pets

Every when should I test the water? What if I use them all within a month or so if i test it everyday?

Also, do they expire?

Is your tank cycled already?

I think there is around 90-100 tests per kit. Normally you test everything once and then retest your nitrogen waste before each water change, it helps you adjust your water change routine if needed. Also for the first few water changes, keep testing your tank pH to make sure it's stable with the tap pH :)

When testing the pH if you can double check the pH by using both kits.

Each test bottle will hold enough drops for 80-100 tests, they say on the bottles the exact amount. :)

Congrats! :D

Once your tank is cycled, the Nitrate test becomes particularly important. Make sure to follow the instructions exactly. The Nitrate test requires more steps than the other tests...and shake, shake, shake!

I just got my API master test kit as well and the packaging says it has over 800 rounds of tests between every bottle. I didn't think I would need the high range pH because my tank water always tested really low, but when I tested my tap water I found it was the highest number on the high range scale. Then I was able to get help and information on what was going on and how to fix the problem. Also, I purchased the API KH and GH test separately- they sell them together as a set.

I also have the API Master freshwater test kit, so I can help you.

The nitrate test is the most useful to me, and the most complex. Please read the manual to ensure I am doing it right.

-fill test tube to line

-add 10 drops of #1 solution, cap, shake a couple of times, put down

-shake #2 solution bottle for 30 seconds

-add 10 drops of #2 solution, cap

-shake for 60 seconds

-put down test tube, wait at least 5 minutes

-compare colour to chart

This last step is where the test gets a little tricky as the colours can change depending on the light. I use the same window, back facing the glass and hold the test tube away from the card, but in front of a white area. Compare the colours. For the nitrate test my card's 10 and 20 ppm look exactly the same. Once your solution changes to red, 40 ppm, you need to do a water change.

Different people get different cards. On another fish forum we actually scanned and compared different API test cards. There was no single uniform colour for any level of nitrate except for 40ppm, red. We agreed that once your solution turns from orange to red you need to do a partial water change.

Edited by TorontoBoy

I also have the API Master freshwater test kit, so I can help you.

The nitrate test is the most useful to me, and the most complex. Please read the manual to ensure I am doing it right.

-fill test tube to line

-add 10 drops of #1 solution, cap, shake a couple of times, put down

-shake #2 solution bottle for 30 seconds

-add 10 drops of #2 solution, cap

-shake for 60 seconds

-put down test tube, wait at least 5 minutes

-compare colour to chart

This last step is where the test gets a little tricky as the colours can change depending on the light. I use the same window, back facing the glass and hold the test tube away from the card, but in front of a white area. Compare the colours. For the nitrate test my card's 10 and 20 ppm look exactly the same. Once your solution changes to red, 40 ppm, you need to do a water change.

Different people get different cards. On another fish forum we actually scanned and compared different API test cards. There was no single uniform colour for any level of nitrate except for 40ppm, red. We agreed that once your solution turns from orange to red you need to do a partial water change.

I agree with everything you said. That is exactly how I do it to the letter.

Thank you everyone for the great help :)

I was wondering, is there an proper way to dispose of the colored water or do you just pour then down the sink?

Pour it down the sink and rinse the tubes well.

Just a clarification on the pH and high pH tests, since many are confused by "conflicts" between these. The pH test, can only read pH between 6.0 and 7.6. That means if the test reads 6.0, the pH is 6.0 or lower. (This also means you have a problem, since that's too low for goldfish.) If the test reads 7.6, that means the pH is 7.6 or higher. That means you have to use the high pH test to determine the pH. The high pH test can only read pH between 7.4 and 8.8. If the test reads 8.8, your pH is 8.8 or higher. That's pretty rare and may be a problem If the high pH test reads 7.4, your pH is 7.4 or lower.

So if your pH test reads 7.6 and the high pH test reads 8.2, there is no conflict. It's 8.2. If your pH test says 7.6 and the high pH test says 7.4, that just means your pH is in the range of 7.4 to 7.6.

Thank you everyone for the great help :)

I was wondering, is there an proper way to dispose of the colored water or do you just pour then down the sink?

I just pour it down the drain while running the water.