Sign in to follow this  
Kat_M

Eggs and red vent

Ok, it looks like Chloe had a surprise for me today. I have noticed that Rudi has been chasing her relentlessly today which is not his normal behavior. And then i have noticed that Chloe's vent is bit red. I took her out to see what is the matte and the moment I gently touched her belly the eggs came out. I have her for 15 months now and this is the first time I have noticed her having eggs!

Now, my question is whether it is normal for the vent to get red when the fish is dropping eggs?

if someone was pecking at your vent 24/7.... it would be red too! :rofl :rofl

but in all seriousness, do post a few pics of it so that our experienced breeders can take a look and assess the situation for you.

Hi. I can only speak from my experience as a fairly new breeder so perhaps others with more knowledge can chime in.

I have 6 females that have been spawning non-stop for the past 3 months (over 30 spawns now but have only kept 2 spawns to focus on) and I do notice the vent being a little red/bloody protruding every time each of them lays eggs. It's actually the only way I can tell which female laid the eggs since I have more than one female in some tanks. The redness usually goes away in the next day or two though.

Hope that helps. But if you are still seeing redness then as Stakos mentioned, definitely post pics and perhaps someone could offer more guidance.

Thank you :) I have noticed that her vent went back to normal the next day she dropped eggs. But today she is being chased again so I assume there are still more eggs to come.