Guest Johnny

Lionhead Oranda sitting on bottom, red spot on wen

Guest Johnny

• Hagen Mini Master Nutrafin Test kit
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) .3
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 5
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) 7.5

I just added salt to the water - 10 spoons for 50 gal tank. I have a Fluval filter set.

My Lionhead goldfish has been acting lethargic for the past week. The tank is clean, I changed about 10 gal of water on Saturday May 11th. No additives. Other fish are a 9" pleco, a 2" dwarf catfish, a 3" calico goldfish, 3" siamese algae eater.

He is not eating - not even peas, sitting on the bottom of the tank, dorsal fin up, a red spot has developed on the top of his wen. The wen has grown fairly large..although I have nothing to compare it too. His belly seems to be getting a bit swollen and I am in a panic when I read about dropsy! The other goldfish stays close to him but seems fine, swimming about. If I tap on the glass he will swim away behind a rock. There does not seem to be any discolouration or red veins. I don't know what to do because I can't figure out what may be wrong with him!

* Ammonia Level (tank):

* Nitrite Level (tank)

* Nitrate level (Tank)

* Ammonia Level (Tap):

* Nitrite Level (Tap)

* Nitrate level (Tap)

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* Water temperature?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Please fill out this form. It contains some info you have yet to provide that the Mod Team needs to know in order to give a proper diagnosis. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

Guest Johnny

ChelseaM - I think I covered as much as I could of your list in my posting - I added pics just now

Can you take a topview picture? I could be wrong, but the scales look a little raised in the first picture. It could help the mods out when they take a look :o

If you can, would you be willing to test your tap water levels as well? Do you have a separate container that you could use to isolate this fish?

I second that topview and the tap water test.. I see some pineconeing I think as well. We'll see what the mods say.

I see pine coning... I recommend a QT tank all to herself. If it does happen to be dropsy, the salt in the water will worsen her her bloating. I would really like you to fill out all of the info from above.

Guest Johnny

• Hagen Mini Master Nutrafin Test kit
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) .3
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 5
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) 7.5
  • I am not using any tap water in the tank.
  • 50 gal tank has been running 3 years
  • no new fish, no meds other than the salt
  • feed fish flakes, sinking pellets, brine shrimp and peas
  • these fish have not had any previous issues
  • no bloody streaks, since this afternoon (pics) slight pineconing in the lower abdomen
  • no fraying of fins
  • still swimming but mainly sitting on the bottom

Should I do a water change to get rid of the salt now???

If you aren't using tap water in the tank, what water are you using to do your water changes? Is there any way you could test the levels of that source?

Guest Johnny

@bodoba - tap water which has sat out for 24+ hours in a separate vessel is used for water changes. Therefore the fish are only exposed to the water which is in the tank now and I already listed the test results for that. I didn't put the fish in tap water so doesn't that rule out that cause? I also have a filteration system in the house.

His swelling has actually gone down even with the salt water - it was on the belly area only. I will post another pic. I can't really see any raised scales now. But he is still sitting on the bottom of the tank. The red spot on the top of the wen seems more pronounced - not much larger but darker. It is right in the middle of the wen on the top of his head. I don't know who is eating the peas - nobody goes to them when I am in front of the tank but they are all gone after a couple of hours. I usually drop them right in front of the Oranda, who is generally in the same spot.

Hi Johnny, I think you should test the tap water even though you are aging it. :)

Hi Johnny, I think you should test the tap water even though you are aging it. :)

I would suggest this as well.

There are chemicals in water that aging cannot remove.

Sorry to see your oranda is not doing so well. I am also seeing pineconing in the pics you provided. A top view of the fish would be very helpful as others have suggested :)

Do you have a QT you can place this fish in?

Please provide parameters for the source you are using for water changes.

This is important because your fish should not be in salt water right now, however we cannot recommend water changes until we know the params of the water you use for water changes. For example, pH needs to be matched between tank and tap in order to reduce stress during water changes. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels for your aged water would be helpful.

any updates? :)