how to prepare a marimo?

Hi everyone!

I'm getting ready to buy a marimo (moss ball) for my tank to hopefully fight down these diatoms a little. I heard they're low maintenance which is good but can anyone walk me through making this plant safe to put into my tank?

What kind of requirements or care does a marimo need?

Little to none!! :rofl

You will need to disinfect them before adding them to your tank. Then just toss them in. As long as you have some sort of light on your tank they should be fine. When I had only marimos and no other plants I didn't add any fertilizers. Just be prepared for Sasha to turn them into lunch. :o

Little to none!! :rofl

You will need to disinfect them before adding them to your tank. Then just toss them in. As long as you have some sort of light on your tank they should be fine. When I had only marimos and no other plants I didn't add any fertilizers. Just be prepared for Sasha to turn them into lunch. :o

:D oh thats fantastic! And I'm quite prepared, although I was thinking of getting a breeder box and just putting the plant in there safe and sound :P

Once a week (or while doing a water change) just roll it in your hands to keep it round and make sure to turn it over so the bottom gets light too

it can get a flat spot if it stays in one spot too long

Once a week (or while doing a water change) just roll it in your hands to keep it round and make sure to turn it over so the bottom gets light too

it can get a flat spot if it stays in one spot too long

Thank you!! :-) I will do that!

• 2 weeks later...

Do moss balls help with nitrates?

Some, I'm sure, but these are not fast growing, and won't help as much as you'd like.

Darn. Can you think of anything similar (low maintenance, 100% aquatic) that I could stick in a breeder box that would do more for lowering nitrates?

I am told by at least two very reliable people (shakaho and dan in aus) that fully aquatic plants tend to be better at using ammonia, as opposed to terrestrial plants, which are better nitrate users. :)

I am told by at least two very reliable people (shakaho and dan in aus) that fully aquatic plants tend to be better at using ammonia, as opposed to terrestrial plants, which are better nitrate users. :)

Ohhhh interesting. I will have to look into the plant thing more then. Thank you :)

Ohhhh interesting. I will have to look into the plant thing more then. Thank you :)

Elodea nuttalli depleted N in the water very rapidly. It preferred N-NH 4 to N-NO 3 if both ions were available in water in similar concentration (Fig. 6). A reduction of 50% of initial N-NH4 content was noted after 8 h. The plants absorbed almost all N-NH 4 in about 32 h. The high uptake of N-NO3 by plants began from 32 h when N-NH 4 was almost exhausted. (Ozimek, Gulati and van Donk 403)

There is a problem with this study though. According to Tom Barr (who has an intimate knowledge and doctorate in aquatic botany), the experiment fails to acknowledge an increase in tissue levels prior to treatment—I'd link this, but it's from his forum. If, however, you want to read it, I can PM you. I don't know how detrimental this step is to the experiment (not having a background in biology); however, either way, the results of this experiment are conclusive. Aquatic plants will use ammonium (NH 4) before nitrate (NO 3).