Weird wen issues

Glad to hear picante is doing better! Please finish out the full 2 weeks even if things start looking good :)

I really wouldn't worry about what the pet store person said. I'm sure she was well intentioned but maybe ill informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry it's been a while, the cox bill to a back seat to the vet bill my cat incurred when he decided to eat half a Kleenex box. Like literally the box of cardboard. He's fine now after the surfer but the bill was intense.

On Wednesday it will have been 3 weeks since I started the quarantine. I've been keeping up daily 100% water changes, re adding the metronidazole powder per instructions and feeding him a minimum of 45 pellets of metro meds a day. It was looking REALLY good, there was only one spot of white where it had been the worst and I was really excited.

Imagine my horror when, after the spot disappeared, it revealed what looks like the same red spot that starts off the ulcers. WHILE in the medicated water and 2 weeks into the meds. I was hoping it was just a final flare up but now that spot is showing up again on his cheek and his would be nose area!

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b559/xpennylanex83/EF41518B-6DD7-4C83-B388-54C379E28C1B-496-0000007B21D1EFA0_zpsf23d2cd9.jpg

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b559/xpennylanex83/DBE4BBEB-C99D-43B2-84B5-5020ABD86D03-496-0000007B264E65E3_zps971d04bf.jpg

Sorry the picture are lousy, but you can see the darker area. Also, I found a nasty thing crawling around the bottom, I dunno WHAT it is but it's dead now!

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b559/xpennylanex83/52E47E30-30A4-400B-8501-FB97831AB7B6-496-0000007B28E861D4_zps98b0de4a.jpg

So I'm at a loss as to what to do.... I'm pretty worried that this just isn't going to go away! Any suggestions on if I should just keep doing what I'm doing or a different course of action would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you

Oh no :(

I hope someone can give you some further guidance with this.

He sure is lovely. :heart

Edited by Chai

Could you try to find some Kanaplex at your local stores? Or you can order some Medi-Gold.

I hate to switch to another treatment, but it's clear that the MMs no longer work.

I've called my boyfriend and informed him were on a mom and pop store hunt for kanaplex this morning, should I order the medigold also or just stick to kanaplex if I find it.

I've called my boyfriend and informed him were on a mom and pop store hunt for kanaplex this morning, should I order the medigold also or just stick to kanaplex if I find it.

the medigold would be more ideal if you can order it. It will be better at getting to the wen tissue than the waterborne kanaplex :)

Goldfish connection is typically pretty quick with their shipping.

Wen issues are unfortunately notoriously difficult to treat once they get going.

I found the kenaplax, I am ordering the medi gold right now. Should I put the kenaplax in the water to hold him over or wait for the medigold.

I think that should be OK, Jess, although you will want to still limit the total number of days exposed to kanamycin. :)

I read the instructions and it said to add 3 level measures for my size quarantine (1 for every 5 gallons) every 2 days for up to 3 doses. As I'm transferring him to a fresh tank daily and basically doing 100% water change I'm assuming I can dose it every day for up to 6 days?

Thank you guys so much for your help, I'm really hoping this will finally kick it and he makes it through. I love all my pets but he his really special. It seems like it's always the favorites that have the most problems......

I read the instructions and it said to add 3 level measures for my size quarantine (1 for every 5 gallons) every 2 days for up to 3 doses. As I'm transferring him to a fresh tank daily and basically doing 100% water change I'm assuming I can dose it every day for up to 6 days?

Thank you guys so much for your help, I'm really hoping this will finally kick it and he makes it through. I love all my pets but he his really special. It seems like it's always the favorites that have the most problems......

I hope things get better for you soon! Fins crossed! I know what you mean about your special fish always getting sick. My moor is my baby and she's always getting sick :-(. Our friends here are the best fish healers I've ever seen!

Oh and I feed my fish veggies every day on top of their regular food. Pet store workers are silly sometimes :-)

Best of luck with your beautiful fishies!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry your having to take a different action for your fish now. I do hope all will be good once this new treatment is done. Hang in there. It sounds like you have great help/support with your boyfriend also.

Thank you! I let him know you guys are rooting for him so hopefully that perked him up a little!

I just wanted to give an update that when I got up this morning It was worse. Way worse. So I ended up taking him to my fish vet that wormed me in this afternoon, just so I could get a scraping analyzed to see if there were still parasites an wha kind of bacterial problem there was.

I let her know all the wonderful help and advice I have been getting from everyone here and she agreed lol. Let her know everything he had been and will be treated with.

She found no parasites (thank god) but the ulcer is WAY deeper than I thought. I went ahead and had her send off the scraping to see exactly what bacteria it is and what works best at killing it off.

In the meantime she said that medigold sounds wonderful, she actually asked for the info on metro meds so she had it on hand to recommend to people, and gave me a cream to apply to his ulcers once a day called silvadene.

I just wanted to repeat again how much I appreciate all the kind words and help I've gotten. I really think without having help it would be so much worse than it is now, and that I didn't take him in from not trusting the advice, I just freaked when I saw blood and was scared to lose him, I think I overreacted a little... :/ hopefully this cream will just kick start the healing that much faster and the medigold will finally push it OUT OF MY LIFE!!

Silver sulfadiazine is relatively gentle and great for kicking the butt of resistant bacteria. As with all medications, keep a close eye on him to make sure he's not having any weird reactions to it. I hope he gets well soon. :)!

Good luck!

I'm not sure if there was a misunderstanding, but these ulcers are almost always bacterial. So, we would have been really surprised if any parasites were discovered there.

Metro-Meds contains metronidazole, oxytetracycline, and Romet B. :)

Well I was just worried about the ulcers being parasites initially, as at first the wen turning white and coming off in chunks, whereas now it's just ulcers.

I did the second swab today and there was so much less blood, just a little on the tip of the giant Q tip, and he's much more active. So I think with the medigold this will be done with ^-^

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say picante is finally perfect! I had to give him injections as the type of bacterial infection he had was resistant to the food and water treatments I was doing, but he had minor bacterial problems going that they did treat, so it wasn't all a waste.

He's still not completely back to his normal self, but almost there, begging and all. I ended up upgrading both my tanks so they would have more room and hopefully avoid this from happening again, so I am now the proud owner of a 110 and a 125 gallon tank. I know it doesn't guarantee but I'm hoping it will reduce the risk.

Thank you again for everyone's help ^-^ we appreciate it very much!!

Just wanted to say picante is finally perfect! I had to give him injections as the type of bacterial infection he had was resistant to the food and water treatments I was doing, but he had minor bacterial problems going that they did treat, so it wasn't all a waste.

He's still not completely back to his normal self, but almost there, begging and all. I ended up upgrading both my tanks so they would have more room and hopefully avoid this from happening again, so I am now the proud owner of a 110 and a 125 gallon tank. I know it doesn't guarantee but I'm hoping it will reduce the risk.

Thank you again for everyone's help ^-^ we appreciate it very much!!

I'm glad things are better. Congrats on the upgrades!!