Sign in to follow this  
dankriscurly

what parasites are these?

One of my fishes got 2of such jellylike parasite that suck on the slimcoat of my fishes when I 1st bought it 2mths back..now it has spread to few other fishes and I had to pluck it out! Noticed some bigger ones will leave a red mark

I did put a heavy dose of Waterlife Myxazin and then API Melafix and both couldnt do e job of killing it (did it on a small cup with the parasite) only hot water kills it instantly and I have started to heat up my tank water as well as Myxozin to treat the fish that has the most parasite +fin rot (overnight)+ red blood vein on the tailfin.

Are these parasites harmful?

20130513_210516-1.jpg

Edited by dankriscurly

Argulus (fish lice)

Edited by FlipsHere

These the same?

argulus-japonicus-host_65069_1_zps303e8754.jpg

Then its fish lice

They look like fish lice... ewww.

Hopefully someone will come to your aid with a good treatment for a bad infestation. The only one I've seen is to pull them off by hand. That may not work in your case due to the level of infestation.

yep.. fish lice definitely.. they are harmful, they continue to destroy the slimecoat to get to the dermis of the fish and suck their blood. there are ways to get rid of them...

1. pick all the lice you can see, off the fish and put them in a jar, you will need to euth them.

2. bring salt up gradually to begin healing the wounds that they have caused to the fish

get this happening as soon as possible and i will find the best way to treat the tank. they do not die with 0.3% salt, this is just to begin the healing process from your fish. fortunately, they need a host to survive... unfortunately, hatchlings are really difficult to see on fish. i'll get back to you shortly with a koko article on them.

I really shouldn't have clicked this topic. i'm going to have more nightmares about fish lice eating me. yay!

thks Helen

everyday im catching some from my fishes....

do i need to clear out all my 400L of water including the river gravels

as well as all 3 canister filters?

totally clear it out and start e whole process of a new tank again?

will the eggs of these lice still lurk around?

As the article says, you need to treat with dimilin, which is a chitin inhibitor. That treatment is harder to find these days, and the alternative is Cyropro. I think you have too big of an infestation to just be able to pick them off until they are all gone.

oh my gosh :( I hope you can get rid of them all asap!!I had one on one of my fish followed up with salt baths x3 maybe that's something you can look into??but let the experts (Alex & Helen) direct you as they know a whole lot more than I ;)

oh my gosh :( I hope you can get rid of them all asap!!I had one on one of my fish followed up with salt baths x3 maybe that's something you can look into??but let the experts (Alex & Helen) direct you as they know a whole lot more than I ;)

thks..been trying to removed them daily if i can see one...unless i dry up my tank

i guess i have to keep my eye open lol...

some salt added and heater switched on to heal any wound and broken fins,,,

btw hw much (ml) salt is .3% of 400L(est 100Gallons)??

thks..been trying to removed them daily if i can see one...unless i dry up my tank

i guess i have to keep my eye open lol...

some salt added and heater switched on to heal any wound and broken fins,,,

btw hw much (ml) salt is .3% of 400L(est 100Gallons)??

take a look at Alex's sig, there are some links there on how to salt, one of them will show you in metrics and weight (for scales measurement) instead of having to measure out by teaspoon.

just be sure to increase in incriments of 0.1% every 12 hours, no sooner ok? get to a maximum 0.3%

you will need to find the recommended parasitic treatment advised in the article i posted you and in Alex's post to you. they will not go away otherwise and they will just keep reappearing.

Looks like you have tried Waterlife products.. But you need the right one..Parazin is for fish lice and anchorworm... Myxazin only is for Fin Rot, Body Rot, Ulcers, Sores and other bacterial infections.

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/parazin.htm

Edited by FlipsHere