Another stocking question

channelle

We are a week away from having our pond running! Yeah!! I'll be posting pictures of our process, finished product, etc (while sitting out by my pond of course). The bog filter is 5 by 8' by 12" and the pond is 1800 gallons. As I put all my fish in, they will be so small, there won't be much food for the bog plants. Should I overstock the pond for the first year? Or add more plants throughout the summer? I don't think there will be enough food for the plants till the fish get bigger.

Also, I'd like the back plants to be good at privacy - meaning thicker and taller to hide the view of my escape from every person who drives past our house. Which plants would grow tall and thick? I have canna's picked out as well as dwarf bamboo, but not sure how tall they will grow.

Don't overstock the pond! When you put in your plants, include the whole root ball and soil. Plant when the filter isn't running, and cover the plant soil with gravel. You can stick a pellet of aquatic plant food in the root ball if you want. This will keep your plants growing. My cannas grow huge sitting in a pot of gravel in the pond. If I put them in a pot of gravel in the top of a barrel filter, they will burst the pot in a few months. I would advise against bamboo anyplace where it grows well. It's extremely aggressive.

When I have potted plants, I set then in a saucer of water, and do little but give them water for a year or so before repotting. I'm sure they would grow faster if I poured on fertilizer, but they would not be as tough. Plants don't need huge amounts of nutrients to grow normally. With low fertility, your bog plants will grow long roots to find nutrients and really clean that water. Check the list here. The plants you are warned about grow too well in the bog and crowd out any other plants. Actually, most of the plants that get really tall in a bog filter also take over the bog.

Your bog plants will get bigger and more vigorous with time. If you want plant screening immediately, I suggest you set up lattice or some other support on the public side and plant vines in the ground.

Selecting plants that will grow well in your bog filter is mainly trial and error. Even in the same area, what grows well in one filter doesn't do so well in another. That's a good reason to plant gradually -- to find out what works for you.