Sign in to follow this  
xjasminex

My modified canister filter and breeder boxes for plants!

Here is the finished product of my modified canister filter and breeder boxes filled with plants!

My hopeful thought for this is to reduce my nitrates so i don't have to worry so much!

Canister and modified output line, it is split four ways using this method with the T hose connectors.

AA2E38D7-64D6-4612-9EDB-7C8E67525D45-1978-000000981B110FA3_zps651e4449.jpg

Picture of the hoses going up into the breeder boxes.

517CD61B-3074-40FC-844D-CE5C59210BC8-1978-0000009812EFA122_zpsdf5992b6.jpg

This pic is of the end of the hoses, i used two 90 degree elbow connectors to create a U type shape to help hold the hoses and direct water into the breeder boxes, i couldn't find anything else that would work.

993DED58-75BE-42BD-B494-C5B004973647-1978-000000980CC14AC5_zps607d939b.jpg

Heres a full setup shot, notice that there is no longer pumps in the tank that feed the breeder boxes! It makes the tank look bigger! I will soon be putting up a curtain so you cant see the guts of this setup...im all about looks!

28C1A871-79F9-4586-9793-9EFD5A993240-1978-00000098006AE0FA_zps49f9bd4d.jpg

There were somethings to consider when building this, there needs to be little to no slack in the lines. If there is slack in any line it will slow flow down and cause the flow in another line to speed up, therefore making a breeder box over flow onto the floor. The same goes to kinks....due to the natural curve of the tubing and the placement of it, i had a small kink, water still flowed but it slowed flow down enough that more went into another line. It caused one breeder box to over flow. I fixed this buy first shortening the line to help get rid of the kink and i taped pieces of a bamboo skewer to either side of the kink to straighten it out. It works great now! I also drilled extra holes in the breeder boxes to help them drain into the tank faster, just in case something happens!

Any questions just ask!

Thats why i posted it! Go right ahead, just beware of issues!

If you have questions let me know, i can give specifics if you need.

I am still closely monitoring this system for overflow issues, and i may just drill more holes for insurance.

I will officially begin nitrate testing and documentation soon, i kinda want the new canister to become established first, then i know that all the water entering the breeder boxes only has nitrates in it and that the plants are forced to take up only nitrates.

Edited by xjasminex

Amazing! Do you have substrate or gravel or anything in the breeders boxes or are the plants simply packed tightly together?

They are just packed in, the breeder boxes only hold 0.5 gallon i believe, they are the large marina breeder boxes, i wanted as much room as i could get!

And bamboo grows roots normally in just water so i figured it would be ok.

Gosh, that's fantastic! I really like it! :)

Great job! One of these days, I'm going to get around to getting more bamboo. :)

Wow it's just wow :rofl

I love how lush it looks. , nitrates begone :rofl

Edited by Gustave

Very nice set up! All of your plants are beautiful. I bet your water quality is near perfect!

Near perfect is what I'm trying to achieve! Checking water params tonight and possible water change too'

That is amazing! I love all the green! In AND above the tank. :) It just looks great! I hope it works for you.

I'm like you. It's all about the looks. I don't want even ONE cord showing!

:rofl

I know, I need to get some black air tubing now, cuz there is some poking out that you can see!

I know, I need to get some black air tubing now, cuz there is some poking out that you can see!

Petsmart has it for cheap. I need to find black SUCTION CUPS, because black airline tubing is only as stealth as those stupid white suction cups allow it to be.

I might go order two packs now because I'm mad at my husband anyway. Ahhhh, the relief of retail therapy! :rofl