Sign in to follow this  
ema0140

antibiotic food

hey all, just for future reference is it possible to put antibiotic food in in gelatine so it can be effective for longer than ten seconds in water ?

It's quite possible to make your own antibiotic gel food, though difficult.

Or were you thinking of just suspending it in the gelatin?

hey all, just for future reference is it possible to put antibiotic food in in gelatine so it can be effective for longer than ten seconds in water ?

what do you mean by 'effective for longer than 10 sec in the water'?

Where did you get this idea?

In any case, food should not be left in the tank for more than a minute or two, when it comes to pellets anyway. Note: that is already a lot of food. :)

She got those instructions from me, Alex. And that is what was written on the packaging of Kanamycin flakes I had. Basically you are supposed to feed it in tiny portions as the Kanamycin dissolves in water really quickly, and it is best to get it into fish within 10 seconds. It is supposed to retain 90% of its potency within that time frame.

the antibiotic food that the lovely kat m sent me,,she advised that the food needed to be eaten within ten seconds or the medication would dissolve into the water,so i fed the goldies through a syringe,i just wondered if you put it into gelatine and the meds dissloved into it then it would still be effective?maybe im being stupid lol :peeka i wasjust thinking of something more effective as i didnt go well this time and i had to euth the two sick fish today,i think the twice daily catching them to feed meds did more harm than good :(

Oh no, I am so sorry Ema :( I thought they were doing bit better.

I'm sorry about that, Emma. :(

Kat, that is really puzzling about the meds, because at least with pellets here, the instructions definitely don't say that, and I think I and others have left them in the water for much longer than 10 seconds (1 minute). Ten seconds is really a very short time, so I don't really know what to make of that. :(

I suppose it is because these are flakes, not pellets, so obviously the dissolve in the water much quicker. The 10 seconds was said to be an optimal time to ensure maximum potency. It stays active for longer, of course, but it effectiveness decreases with time.

Is there any way you can let me know the brand of kanamycin flakes you are feeding?

Kanamycin sulfate is water soluble which is why it works well as a waterborne treatment. It's also extremely tough on kidneys so it's with great caution that it's every recommended. Some companies say that these flakes can be added into agar so that they are protected from the solubility.

I think there are other options when it comes to administering kanamycin and there are alternatives normally available if the drugs isn't available for you in any other way.

I wish I could tell you the name of the brand but I have no clue. I got it from my vet with the instructions. I have never looked into the details as I trusted the vet and never questioned his judgment. It is not easy to find antibiotics here, in UK. I have come to know about Metro-Meds and Medi-Gold only recently, and all thanks to Alex.