Snail clean up crew?

Hey guys,

So I'm looking at figuring out a clean up crew for my new 55 g betta sorority in the making. I love snails! I think they are super cute and I've heard that they can be a good clean up crew. This tank is going to be heavily planted and so I'd love a little help cleaning it. Any suggestions on types of snails? Also, where is a good place to order snails?

I recently picked up 4 Mystery Snails at Ptsmart. I also got some Blue Ramshorns (ebay) They are all doing quite well!!

In my experience, mystery/apple snails are not the best 'clean up crew' and probably create more waste than they pick up, so if clean up is really what you want snails for they wouldn't be my top pick (they are really fun to watch if you just want another aquatic friend though). My nerites do the best job of actually cleaning up algae in the tank (although those little buggers create a decent amount of waste as well)

as far as ordering, aquabid is a great place :)

In my experience, mystery/apple snails are not the best 'clean up crew' and probably create more waste than they pick up, so if clean up is really what you want snails for they wouldn't be my top pick (they are really fun to watch if you just want another aquatic friend though). My nerites do the best job of actually cleaning up algae in the tank (although those little buggers create a decent amount of waste as well)

Would nerites eat plant debris as well?

Would nerites eat plant debris as well?

supposedly (according to the interweb) nerites will eat dying plant debris. I can't say that I have ever seen any of my snails nerite or apple, eat any dead/dying plant debris, but that certainly doesn't mean that they don't.... but if they do they don't do a very good job of it :rofl

Hmm now I don't know what to do... would plecos be better for the tank? Ugh....

I agree, I have a very messy tank (betta tank that is) and he likes ripping the algae off the wall and 'planting' it in the grass. I clean it off the sides once every 6 months and he gets super grumpy when I do it :rofl

I've noticed the more plentiful the diatoms, the more plentiful the eggs. :o

Don't be going around telling people I have a dirty tank, yo! :rofl :rofl :rofl