Sign in to follow this  
cathys

aquaripure anyone have one?

I just received my large aquaripure filter and set it up Wednesday on my 75 gal. I have high hopes it will do what it claims which is to bring nitrates to zero. As of 5:00 pm my nitrates were <5ppm. I did a water change Tuesday or Wednesday. I think Tuesday but can't remember (getting old peeps).Anyway if it was Tuesday...usually by now my nitrates would be around 40ppm. I will be testing daily and posting results. I have one oranda 7 inches and one black moor 5 inches in the tank at this time. I have a rena filstar 3 basket canister filter and a hob penquin bio wheel 350, 2 inches of eco complete and a couple plants. At this time my tap has 2ppm ammonia,0 nitries and 0 nitrates. ph is 6.6. these levels fluctuate. Does anyone else have an aquaripure filter ?

5 ppm nitrates this am. That's still good considering what it normally would be ! Anxious to see what it'll be after cycling

I'd love to read your review of this product. It sounds really interesting, but I have not ever used one.

Haven't tested yet today but yesterday found the output wasn't dripping due to a lot of air bubbles so i'm wondering if the nitrates went up to 5 due to the aquaripure not working ? Did a water change last night but less than I normally do.. that's my normal schedule.. Will do testing late afternoon today. It seems his claim about nitrates is too good to be true. I was thinking if this really works why isn't everyone using one unless it's due to the cost?

Saturday did water change out of habit. Nitrates sunday and monday were between a 5 and 10ppm. This morning are down to less than 5ppm. Not sure if aquaripure is still getting air out of it but I've had to adjust the drip rate dailey. Instructions that came with it say to adjust twice a week. Tank still has the brown algae but as I said the aquaripure still has to complete it's cycling which may be up to several weeks. So far i'm pretty happy with it. Will update later in the week.

I too am interested in your review. It would be great to have some way of removing nitrates without a water change.

nitrates have been down to zero for 3 days now. hooray !!! I

That's fantastic!

What do you think about the degree of difficulty to maintain and operate this filter?

http://www.aquaripure.com/

see the website there are videos. to start you have to add either vodka,grenadine or sugar water to feed the filter twice a week. you also have to adjust the output drip a couple times a week. or more. easy to start up. you just hook the intake hose to the in tank pump, hook the output hose to the flow valve, zip tie the hoses together and plug it in. It did seem to slow down this past weekend and has had some white mucosa dripping out. the tank had some whitish slime on the tank sides and other filters. you have to also continue running your regular filters. read the website and watch the videos. He's been very helpful and put up with a lot of emails from me. He said the white mucosa is basically from my tank having too much waste in it. it was overload and the bacteria in the aquaripure went crazy and overflowed into the tank. maybe I should copy and paste the email? he said to cut down on the amount of vodka I was feeding the filter. he said that should clear up in a few weeks and if it doesn't to contact him. his teaching is to have a complete bio system in the tank. he talks about a lot of different things and it would be best for you to get the information off the website instead of second hand from me. I don't have the best memory : ). so far i'm pretty happy with it but it hasn't been that long. I can't believe it's cycled already.. we'll see...i'll keep this review updated as things progress. or if I come upon some bumps in the road.

http://www.aquaripure.com/

see the website there are videos. to start you have to add either vodka,grenadine or sugar water to feed the filter twice a week. you also have to adjust the output drip a couple times a week. or more. easy to start up. you just hook the intake hose to the in tank pump, hook the output hose to the flow valve, zip tie the hoses together and plug it in. It did seem to slow down this past weekend and has had some white mucosa dripping out. the tank had some whitish slime on the tank sides and other filters. you have to also continue running your regular filters. read the website and watch the videos. He's been very helpful and put up with a lot of emails from me. He said the white mucosa is basically from my tank having too much waste in it. it was overload and the bacteria in the aquaripure went crazy and overflowed into the tank. maybe I should copy and paste the email? he said to cut down on the amount of vodka I was feeding the filter. he said that should clear up in a few weeks and if it doesn't to contact him. his teaching is to have a complete bio system in the tank. he talks about a lot of different things and it would be best for you to get the information off the website instead of second hand from me. I don't have the best memory : ). so far i'm pretty happy with it but it hasn't been that long. I can't believe it's cycled already.. we'll see...i'll keep this review updated as things progress. or if I come upon some bumps in the road.

well after my celebrating I did a couple tests. the nitrates are less than 5(orangey yellow), nitrites 0 but ammonia .25 I checked the drip rate and it was too slow so I adjusted it. I really don't understand why that even changes. maybe a better flow valve could be put on that would hold the rate once it's adjusted. I changed the water on Monday. my tank water seems cooler than it was so not sure if that affected anything or if it was the drip rate or what. i'll test again in the morning.

6am test results: ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate orange/yellow so less than 5.0 same as last night. I put in new mechanical media in my two other filters so must have a bump in cycle. : (

That is very interesting. I just looked at the website. Why do they say to remove other biological filters/filtration materials, I wonder? Are there any worries about the vodka, etc., getting into the main tank?

That is very interesting. I just looked at the website. Why do they say to remove other biological filters/filtration materials, I wonder? Are there any worries about the vodka, etc., getting into the main tank?

I imagine there needs to be the right balance? I've been emailing and he said with my goldfish to get the large filter for 75gal and to leave the biological filter in my existing filter because of the bioload the goldfish put out. If your thinking of getting one email John and he'll be happy to answer your questions. or I think he may have a phone # on his site. I think in one of the videos he says the vodka is safe but you can use sugar water instead if you're worried.

just a quick update. tested this morning. ammonia at 0 and nitrates at 0. Did do a water change over the weekend to get rid of all the stuff the filters aren't picking up. So far i'm pretty happy with the aquaripure. I'm not having to change the water because of nitrates since I started it !

I really am going to have to consider getting one...I'll be interested to know if you see any difference in your fish over time (grow bigger, for example, or have fewer mystery illnesses) and how long, if ever, it takes for nitrates to show up now that you have this running. Sounds like if it works the way it should, you'll never have any. It would be interesting to know, too, how your water change regime changes and what impact that has, if any. I know there are things in the water we do not test for, and what impact they have when the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are removed would also be interesting to know. Lots of interesting things to know about this system!

I really am going to have to consider getting one...I'll be interested to know if you see any difference in your fish over time (grow bigger, for example, or have fewer mystery illnesses) and how long, if ever, it takes for nitrates to show up now that you have this running. Sounds like if it works the way it should, you'll never have any. It would be interesting to know, too, how your water change regime changes and what impact that has, if any. I know there are things in the water we do not test for, and what impact they have when the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are removed would also be interesting to know. Lots of interesting things to know about this system!

yes I haven't had it that long. it will be interesting. I think i'll always be doing some water change because of vacuuming the substrate and cleaning but I've noticed the algae is way down since the nitrates are. I had trouble with a lot of slime for about a week. My rena had slowed way down and I finally figured out there was a lot of algae built up in the hoses from all the months of high nitrates. I took all the media out put in a bucket and then ran bleach water through the filter and hoses. I just set up my 10 gal and ran it that way. I had to empty it and filter a couple times because so much came out!! I couldn't believe any water was even getting through. Anyway it'll probably be a couple or 3 months before I really get into a routine. I haven't even added my one goldie back in from the quarantine tank. when I add her back in it may cause a bump in the cycle and i'll have more adjustments to make. i'm thinking of getting one of the pump operated gravel vacs where you don't actually take out any water. like you said though there are some things in the water that need taken out. i'll keep up this thread until I get the routine down. it's a lot of money to spend but I was spending so much on water treatments and water (90.00 plus a month) not to mention time I figured I would save by getting one in a year or less ! "i'm so happy yes so happy :pianobanana "

oh ps....my rain garden oranda (my avatar) had terrible red streaks in his tail and they seem to be going away !! :I-Thank-You:

ok I was out of town for 3 days. got back and checked nitrates they were up to a 5. I added bobbie racer back into tank from qt tank and added additional 350 biowheel. forgot yesterday to add the alcohol. checked nitrates this morning and they are up to 20 !!!! In addition to adding Bobbie back to tank I need to vacuum the gravel and rinse the mechanical media. lots of variables here so not exactly sure why nitrates went up. I emailed john for advice.

ok I was out of town for 3 days. got back and checked nitrates they were up to a 5. I added bobbie racer back into tank from qt tank and added additional 350 biowheel. forgot yesterday to add the alcohol. checked nitrates this morning and they are up to 20 !!!! In addition to adding Bobbie back to tank I need to vacuum the gravel and rinse the mechanical media. lots of variables here so not exactly sure why nitrates went up. I emailed john for advice.

Is it still cycling, maybe? Just wondering as it kind of sounds like a regular cycle, where you get ammonia/nitrite spikes before enough bbs grow to eat them.

probably is still cycling and I keep changing the variables. john said to up the alcohol to 12 twice a week, give it a month and have patience. got any patience you can spare LOL !!

:teehee i did big water change, gravel vac and media rinse. the plants really trap the waste !! i'll test again in a couple days.

I am very interested in this product, please keep us updated!!

I would rather hear about how it is working for you right now rather than what the seller has to say since he is trying to make money from his products...if you know what i mean!

it's definitely worth it if you have ammonia in your water like I do. if you read from beginning you see how previously I would change the water and a day later I had 20ppm nitrates. the tap water was treated for ammonia but that only neutralizes the ammonia. it is still available to be changed into nitrites then nitrates. Between the tap and 3 big goldfish my nitrates were ridiculous. I had to do a 75% change twice a week and then it always still seemed to be at 20ppm. The other day it was up higher than it's been since I got the filter. it was up to 40ppm and the only thing I can figure is I had added the 3rd and biggest goldfish to the main tank from quarantine and I've been feeding a lot. the tank was pretty dirty needed gravel vac done etc. I did that and only changed about 25 to 30 % of the water. after the change nitrates were still between a10 and 20 but went down to less then a 5 in a couple days. So I know it works. The secret is getting the correct size filter, drip rate and vodka amount to go with your tank and bio load. the drip rate is really important. if you don't keep it at the correct rate the nitrates will go up. Before I bought the filter I emailed John Straus at Aquaripure and gave him my specs. He recommended the filter size, drip rate and vodka amt to add. It was different than what is recommened on the website. I believe the site is geared towards tropical and salt water fish.

yeah nitrates back to zero today !!! they did go up last week to 10 to 20 then I did a gravel vac and rinsed out the media in the rena filter. they went down to 5 after that and today down to zero !!!!

Hey Cathy,

Would you mind giving an update on your nitrate filter? I may look into it if you're still super happy with it though my issue is high nitrates out of the tap vs high ammonia out of the tap.

I wonder if going from nitrates of 5 or so before a water change, to nitrates of 30 after a water change and before a nitrate filter like this does its magic would be shocking to the fish as a dose of prime would not neutralize all those nitrates.

Edited by CindiL