Can't decide whether to get Duckweed or not?!?!?

jdjn13

The benefits seem great, but I don't know whether the maintenance needed would be worth it. Plus, could my goldfish overeat on the stuff? Or will he stop eating when he has had enough? Opinions valued!

You will have to keep duckweed in a separate container or in a plant net. Goldies will eat every last bit of it. It's the easiest thing in the world to grow. Just keep it in a bin in shady spot and give it poopy tank water every week.

your fish won't overeat itself on duckweed (it's kind of like trying to overeat lettuce), but they will eat it more quickly than it can reproduce, so if you want to keep a constant supply you will need to do as smegy suggested above ;)

It is definitely a great natural addition to their diet. I would say go for it. I am planning to grow some outside this summer for my fish :D

Not a lot of work to grow floaters at all, actually. :) I ordered a floating plant net from Dr's F&S, but unless you have a 40 breeder, or a 75 gallon (or another tank that has a depth of 18" or greater), the net probably won't do much good. It's flexible, can be kind of a pain to clean around.

You can make a simple net out of pvc piping and window screen, if you're looking for a simple DIY project. It won't be the prettiest thing in the world, but it'll do it's job, and help keep the tank parameters under control. I have a mega ton of floaters in my tank, and my nitrates have dropped significantly.

Duckweed free floating in a tank in abundance will clog your filters. You need a net to contain it, I suggest something bigger like dwarf water lettuce or amazon frogbit. You might still need a net if your fish think it's yummy but it's easier to deal with than duckweed...believe me I have experience with it =]

Duckweed free floating in a tank in abundance will clog your filters. You need a net to contain it, I suggest something bigger like dwarf water lettuce or amazon frogbit. You might still need a net if your fish think it's yummy but it's easier to deal with than duckweed...believe me I have experience with it =]

Someone here showed me how to make a duckweed barrier using airline tubing so that it does not get pushed down by the filter outflow. I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet but apparently it worked well for them (can't remember who this was now :P)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone here showed me how to make a duckweed barrier using airline tubing so that it does not get pushed down by the filter outflow. I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet but apparently it worked well for them (can't remember who this was now :P)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would confine the duckweed, rather than confine the tank current though. Using the HOB method posted on the forum (somewhere), when the water level dropped, the barrier was no longer effective. If you confine the duckweed in netting, the barrier will rise and fall with the water level. :) And if you need to pull it all out, for some reason, it's very very simple. ;)

I put two cups of duckweed in my tank before. Disappeared overnight! You have to make a floating plant net. Just take some thick .5-1 inch pipeline (from hardware store) and connect ends into a ring. The pipeline protects floaters from the filter current. Then sew/glue nylon or fine netting along the sides so the fish can't reach the plants. It should look like this but smaller: http://www.pondmarket.com/catalog/index.cfm/product/1851_19/floating-pond-plant-protector.cfm