Sign in to follow this  
jdjn13

Noob Fail

Hey Guys, I am excited because this is my first ever post here! WAHOOO!! Anyway, I'm fairly new to fish keeping (serious fish keeping anyway). The other day I bought a lovely Lionhead Goldfish (1 1/2 inches at the moment) and put his in my 20g tank. However, I thought I could get away without having a filter in the tank! How wrong was I?! He makes so much mess for a small fish!!! So after just 24 hours I have bought a big filter that will filter nearly 3 times the size of the tank every hour. The thing that I'm worried about is that this filter won't have the beneficial bacteria needed to take out the ammonia and nitrites. Will he be okay? I'm doing daily 50% water changes to try and keep the water quality good until the filter arrives! HELP! Thanks.

You're doing good, almost there, just a few more things to get.

A filter needs to turn the water 10X so you may need to add a second filter to get that number. (as you already said these are messy fish!)

The api freshwater masterkit. This will have test supplies for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. These are essential to make sure the levels stay healthy for a fish in cycle.

A good water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. The ones recommended here are amquel plus or prime. This is just further protection against ammonia burns while cycling your fish.

Finally.. read this! http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

And :welcome

Hi jdjn 13….. :welcome

Sorry to hear about your current problem.

Being a relative newbie on Koko’s, I would not wish to give you any incorrect advice on the subject, and escalate what is already a worrying time for you.

However, may I offer a shoulder of support from a fellow Member, and assure you that help will arrive from one of our experienced members or Moderators very soon.

While you are waiting for their response, and to assist them in their diagnosis, thus ensuring accuracy with their resulting advice…… could I suggest you take a little time to complete the attached questionnaire regarding your fish, your tank conditions, equipment and regular maintenance habits.

Then return the “fully” completed information ASAP in a second post for the Moderators to analyze, prior to them issuing accurate and comprehensive advice in an attempt to alleviate you problem.

Thanks for your continued patience…..don’t worry, Moderator assistance will soon be here!!!

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level (tank):

* Nitrite Level (tank)

* Nitrate level (Tank)

* Ammonia Level (Tap):

* Nitrite Level (Tap)

* Nitrate level (Tap)

* pH Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* pH Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* Water temperature?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Edited by Phillyn17

Hello, and welcome to Koko :) I am not qualified enough to give you advice but I can tell you that people here are absolutely amazing so you will be in good hands! Good look with cycling your tank :fishtank:

We have all been newbies at one point, so don't worry. :hug

Can you link us to the filter you purchased for your tank? It would be helpful to know, so that we can help you figure out if it needs to be modified to hold more appropriate media.

An API master kit would be very, very helpful. I'd also recommend purchasing a kh/gh test kit (API also makes this, and both sets can be purchased cheaply on amazon), so that we can get a complete profile on your water parameters. KH especially comes in handy when cycling a new tank, which is what you'll be doing.

Welcome to kokos; you're in excellent hands. :heart

Welcome to kokos! We've all had our "fail" moments but at least you noticed before it was too late :hug

For right now, continue to do large water changes until your filter arrives. The beneficial bacteria will take time to establish in your filter and that's what happens during the process known as cycling an aquarium. There's plenty of literature on it and we're here to help if you've got any questions about it. :)

PS... We love photos!!

Edited by Chai

My first suggestion is that if a fish that small is making a terrible mess in a 20 gallon tank you are probably overfeeding. During the cycling process you really need to underfeed. Just a mouthful of fish food a day. If you feel really sorry for your hungry fish, feed him some cooked leafy green vegetables -- spinach, kale, lettuce, etc. in addition to the fish food. No protein foods. Those will increase ammonia production by the fish.

No, your filter will not come cycled. If you know someone who has healthy fish tanks, you might be able to beg for some cycled medium from one of their filters. Otherwise, you just have to keep your fish comfortable with water changes until you grow your own biobugs. 50% daily water changes should work, but that will be every day for several weeks after the filter comes. Your test kit will let you know if that level of water change is adequate and when the system is cycled. Here is a great buy on that kit.

I'm so glad you are asking these questions before your fish is ailing from toxic nitrogen waste.

Perhaps someone might want to give a little briefing on filter media? It won't be me, haha, I'm not experienced enough but the first time someone said "biological filtration" and "ceramic media" there were question marks pouring out my ears.

OP seems to have a grasp on it, which is great, but filter packages lead us to only think inside their box, not outside to the world of bio-spheres and cylinders ;) just a thought in case he was not aware, and please disregard, jdjn, if you are!

Good luck, and you're in great hands over here! :D

We can certainly help with filter media if you let us know what filter you bought. :D

Hey, thanks for all your quick replies! Turns out one of my friends dads owns an aquarium store. He's coming over to take a look etc and guiding me through the whole process! Turns out he has had much success with fancy goldfish in the past! Thanks guys!