Sign in to follow this  
Jeff99

Ornaments .?

Hi everybody . I have a 80 gallon tank with no ornaments . I think I want to add some ornaments to make it more adorable . Any sugestions for the ornaments ? Now I already add some gravel . What things to caution and anything to be care for ? Thanks :)

The biggest thing I worry about with ornaments is hollow ones. Koko has a good article on them http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/frequently-asked-goldfish-questions/hollow-ornaments-r439

There are ways to fill them and I highly suggest asking for more info in the DIY section if you find that "perfect" ornament that happens to be hollow http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107831-filling-hollow-decor/

Also, be aware that goldfish are curious and can sometimes get themselves stuck... http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107831-filling-hollow-decor/

So just be aware of the possible problems when looking at an potential ornament! :D

Oh and... Pics when you have them!! :D

A sideways turned flower pot and some larger rocks, and some plants would look really nice!

I'm a huge fan of flowerpots in fish tanks. They really look nice ,and the fish love them.

I love using natural rocks from outside in many different colours, shapes and sizes. My trumpet snails are big fans of them too.

I make sure to wash and boil them before introducing them to the tank since you never what ickies are in your backyard!

I love using natural rocks from outside in many different colours, shapes and sizes. My trumpet snails are big fans of them too.

I make sure to wash and boil them before introducing them to the tank since you never what ickies are in your backyard!

Also, they should be tested to make sure that they don't change the pH or water quality... I can't remember what you test it will but I'm sure someone will reply with an answer :)

Ok - I have a question for everyone since we are on the flower pot subject - are there any kinds of flower pots that should NOT be used? I have 2 clay pots that I wanna use for my small outdoor pond for putting walter lily plants in it, since its substrateless . Those are good, right?

Ok - I have a question for everyone since we are on the flower pot subject - are there any kinds of flower pots that should NOT be used? I have 2 clay pots that I wanna use for my small outdoor pond for putting walter lily plants in it, since its substrateless . Those are good, right?

I prefer plain, unglazed pottery. No paints, no shinies, just a nice matte pot. Anything else has the potential to break down, and leech chemicals into the water. Walmart has them for super cheap, all year round.

Last year, I actually picked up a rectangular pot, and let them have that as a cave. They loved it. :)