Red On The Fishes Body!

Ranchugirl

The background is: 160 gl tub in the garage, ammonia/nitrites 0, nitrates 10, pH 7.2, temp 70. Filter is cycled for years now, was on an existing pond.

The fish are 6 ranchu and 3 ryukin, all around 2,5 inches. I got all the fish at the show in Orlando beginning of March. 3 days ago the 3 ryukin came down with Ich on their tails and the back of their bodies, not over their whole body (yet). There is a 0.3% rock salt solution in there now, added in 0.1% increases every 12 hours.

No plants. The darage is rather dark, and I shut their lights off.

This morning I noticed on 2 of the ranchu (which don't have Ich), that they are red just behind their headgrowth. It looks kind of like an inflammation.

Here is a picture....

redBlotches.jpg

I am not sure what exactly to do now. What adds to my worry is that the garage smells a bit "gassy", since the big lawnmower is in there as well. Should I get them out on the patio, away from the "gassy" smell, and since I can't move that tub with the water in it, it would mean a 100% water change. Or should I leave them in there, since a move with new water would stress them further? THey would have about 6 hours of morning sun on the patio and mild temperatures of average 76 in the day and 60 at night, but the water temp in the other outside tubs hardly goes down at night.

I leave Wednesday and will be back Sunday afternoon, and would hate to leave them alone without doing anything for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have salt, QuickCure and PP in the house... :)

Guest tooterfish

hi hi

can you move the mower.. out and leave the fish. but air out the garage until most of the fumes are gone.

i would think that (and it is just a thought) that if hair spray and air cleaners can affect the fish, then gasoline fumes would too...

red streaks on body.. you know are not good...

septemia ..ooo... you might want to compare symptoms

move the mower.. change the water as many times as you can before you leave...

hmmm

but i'm only just a beginner in all this... hope it turns out well.

-Toot

I was thinking about moving that mower, but its one of those where you can sit on to mow the lawn, and there is no way to put that thing anyplace else. You are right about the fumes and all..... :)

Guest tooterfish

alright. maybe.. another thought..

what about.. a fan, and a window.. (or are you the only one on the property..and will be leaving? then it might no be such a good idea)

but if you could dispell the fumes...

and run.. loads of charcoal.. through all your filters.. heh add some to baggies at the bottom even..

hmmm, **mid-type thought** but then you couldnt use meds, cause it would filter it out.

would charcoal filter out garlic oil?

well, this post didnt help, :blink: sorry

:rofl YOu are trying, Tooterfish!

Yes, nobody would be at home until Sunday, but I have come to a conclusion....I consulted with Ingrid, the owner from the Puregold site, and she mentioned that a higher concentration of salt can cause redness in sensitive fish, so I guess there is nothing seriously wrong with those 3 affected after all.

I am going out today to buy some batterie operated airpumps, just in case the power goes out while I am gone, and bring a few charcoal bags from the pet store as well to put into the filter in the garage tank. That should take care of the fumes. I am just glad there isn't any air pump pumping "gassy" air into the tub, so the exposure should be minimal. And when I get back, the tub goes outside into the warm sun!!

THanks for helping, everybody!! :hug

Archived