Is Asha ready for release from QT?

The general rules would say no. He came into the QT 2 weeks and 2 days ago, with two fish lice munching on him. I removed them, treated the tank with a salt bath (0.3%) and API General Cure as prescribed. I then did the water changes, and all water parameters are perfect. Asha has shown NO further lice, or sign of any other typical disease.

He seems unhappy in the 10 gallon QT though and I don't blame him. He is destined for the 55 gallon, which I'm certain he will love. But this morning I considered freeing him into the 55, but of course stopped to consult the forum.

By the book, he gets out of QT on 5/27

Is it possible that he is carrying some kind of disease not yet either symptomatic or somehow in incubation? I think incubation refers to viruses and I'm not a physician or scientist so I dont wana throw around terms. But youz get the idea what I mean.

What kinds of contagious bugs might Asha have that would justify keeping him a little cramped for 3 more weeks?

I wish I had had the a 29 gallon as QT. It's not ridiculous, but he is about 3" long. Which is the greater risk? Ashatankshot_zpsd525a098.jpg

• Supporter

hands down! the safest thing to do is to wait the entire QT time. i don't see you mention Prazi or Prazi Pro.. i would use the next two weeks treating with that, followed by a further two weeks in the main tank after his introduction. sometimes, an addition to the main community can cause problems either way.. ie, he's may not be used to something your fish are carrying and are used to and visa versa..

If you can wait then by all means do! there have been a few times where I have had to rush QT and I typically followed it by prazi-ing the entire tank and giving everyone salt dips for a week or so. Luckily I've never had any issues but you can never be too careful! Whenever I have a fish get sick in QT like I have now I am super thankful that they weren't in the main tank, just in case whatever it is is contagious.

Prazi Pro started today...should i do a second treatment in 5 days?

Or 7 :)

Make sure you do a WC before starting the next treatment, and if you are up for it, do another one 4 days after adding the meds, as well. :)

Or 7 :)

Make sure you do a WC before starting the next treatment, and if you are up for it, do another one 4 days after adding the meds, as well. :)

it's a little confusing...do a WC 4 days after adding the meds? but that'll remove the meds from the water 4 days into treatment?

Or 7

Make sure you do a WC before starting the next treatment, and if you are up for it, do another one 4 days after adding the meds, as well.

it's a little confusing...do a WC 4 days after adding the meds? but that'll remove the meds from the water 4 days into treatment?

Yes, do a WC 4 days into treatment. Then, 3 days later, do another WC before you start the next round.

The reason why we do a WC after 4 days is because the prazi is already inactivated by then, and the water change will be beneficial for the fish. :)

cool thanks! hey, my 55 gallon temp has settled at about 81˚ F...its fine for Blub, but might it threaten the nitrobacters? it's up from about 77˚ F & nitrite has remained at 0 reading...

Edited by Orangebetsy

alright well first of all i had miscounted. the receipt says i started asha in QT on 4/19, so i put him into the 55....it got really weird from there. yesterday Blub (1 " long ryukin/fantail) went nuts scared kept the hell away from asha (3") That I expected on the first night...but then this morning, and since, not only is Blub not at all scared of Asha anymore, but since Asha makes absolutely no aggressive moves on Blub, Blub started kinda pecking at Asha. Nothing really bad...but it' almost as if Blub likes Asha's slime coat or something. But weirdest, and kinda annoying to me and maybe Asha, Blub will follow Asha all around and swim up into Asha's fantail, which can totally cover Blub's bodyength, and seems to be doing something with his mouth, then Asha's a bit annoyed and kinda swims away...it's never an altercation, but I cannot figure it out...It annoys the hell outa me cuz Blub when he's doing it just will not let Asha alone.

Perhaps Blub is trying to sexually arouse Asha (which would make Asha a girl lol) to lay eggs? But I see absolutely no tubercles on Blub AND I thought Blub is kinda young. I don't know what the age of sexual maturity is.

Interesting to note that Asha does not seem terribly pissed off about it...never turns and dominates Blub which he/she easily could do.

Help?

I feel like trading Blub and getting a more suitable fish for asha---maybe i should wait.

Also, if Asha's a female and lays thousands of freakin eggs, this is not what i want...but i also don't wana murder a thousand fish!

Edited by Orangebetsy