Does This Sound Worth the Buy (Found a Tank in the Classifieds)

I actually don't remember where i got that from, lol. Probably someone on here :) It doesn't matter regardless, I think 16 parts water would be better especially if the tank had ich :o You could probably even do like, 10 parts water. (I would, I'm paranoid!)

You are too paranoid about used tanks. I buy only used tanks. Clean it and then let it dry. Ich, for example, cannot live without a fish host and also cannot live without water, as these break its life cycle. If you leave a tank full of water with ich but no fish, given time, the protozoa will die completely and the tank will be ich-free. For filters, simply wash the biomedia in chlorinated water, which will kill both beneficial and harmful bacteria. Then let it dry out completely.

You could have taken the filter, let it dry out and then sold it to recoup your costs. Here in Toronto $40 for a 29G tank with a heater and filter is a very reasonable deal. I buy these tanks all the time, though I usually only go after tanks that have Aquaclear filters. Those biowheel ones I avoid.

Good luck on the new-to-you tank. A 29G will be a great tank for your goldie.

Edited by TorontoBoy

I actually don't remember where i got that from, lol. Probably someone on here :) It doesn't matter regardless, I think 16 parts water would be better especially if the tank had ich :o You could probably even do like, 10 parts water. (I would, I'm paranoid!)

I've never bought a used tank so all this info. is good to know.

For filters, simply wash the biomedia in chlorinated water, which will kill both beneficial and harmful bacteria. Then let it dry out completely.

I would boil any ceramic media for about 5 minutes and replace any filter floss.

Congrats! I usually disinfect with 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, but it doesn't hurt to make the solution a bit stronger.

Hey Sara Jo, Did you get that info from Tithra youtube video? I don't think 16 or 19 part water will matter much for glass but plants it might then. So maybe for live plants use 19 parts water. If you should ever decide to get live plants. I want to say I did use 16 part water though to 1 part bleach. Perhaps tithra will see this thread. OR, she does have a lot of great video's on youtube. :)

sorry, just seeing this now! :P I use 1:19 for plants, but for equipment you can definitely go stronger.... a 1:9 (1 part bleach to 9 parts water) ratio is the one I have seen suggested here most often and the ratio I personally use for equipment ;)

Aw, man... I went with a 1:15 ratio. Now I'm worried again. LOL. I used scalding hot water too though so hopefully that also helped. Oh, and I found a bobby pin stuck to the glass on the inside and it rusted that part of the glass... I scrubbed and scrubbed, but couldn't get the rust mark off. Any suggestions?? If I can't get it off, is it going to be harmful or is it mostly just a brown stain at this point?

I did end up tossing the filter out... I just couldn't bring myself to clean that thing and worry about not getting every nook and cranny. To me it just wasn't worth the hassle. Not to mention I don't think I could have figured that thing out. LOL.

PS. There is also still this film on the one side... was thinking I'd try baking soda and vinegar to try to get that off. Are these things ok to use on a tank?

Aw, man... I went with a 1:15 ratio. Now I'm worried again. LOL. I used scalding hot water too though so hopefully that also helped.

I wouldn't worry about it :D I'm sure what you did is just fine!