Does This Sound Worth the Buy (Found a Tank in the Classifieds)

My husband was looking through the paper this morning and found an ad in the classifieds that reads, "30 Gallon Aquarium, live plants, heater, filter, and everything included. $40 OBO" The price seems phenomenal to me for all that is being offered, but here is my real question... I currently have a 10 gallon with 1 comet. I've been wanting to upgrade tank size ASAP, but since we just bought a house and are moving in just a few weeks I figured it should wait until after the move (financial reasons). However, 40 bucks would definitely be workable and the tank could just go to our storage unit for the time being (not with the live plants, of course). My question: since a comet should have at least a 40 gallon tank, is it pointless to get the 30 gallon? My thinking is that it would be a better tank space for Goldie until we can afford a 40-55 gallon size- certainly a lot better than a 10 gallon. I'd love to hear what some more experienced people have to say.

Does this sound like a good deal and a good idea to go for? If I do go to look at the tank, what kinds of things should I be concerned about? What kind of questions should I ask the current owner?

If the tank does not leak (ask the seller to fill it with water before you come) and seems to be in OK shape than you should definitely get it.

Truthfully, your comet can live for quite awhile in a 30 while you save up for a larger tank (which would not, strictly speaking be necessary). In the 10 gallon, you will be fighting toxic water and the diseases that thrive in it all the time. You could always resell the 30 after getting a 40-55 later. :)

No problem with salt/freshwater fish. Salt washes out. The only reason not to house your comet in a 30 gallon (long) tank is if you ever want to add another fish. A 40 B is a wonderful tank, but there's very little chance an aquarium-raised comet will get too big for the 30. The only exception would be if this is one of those very tall tanks with little surface area, which is not suitable for any goldfish.

I'm really not sure that is a great deal. It all depends on what "everything" includes and the condition it's in. You don't need a heater, the filter may be too small, so you will have to get an additional one. The plants will probably be eaten by your fish. I bought one of those packages, and all I could use was the tank (which turned out to be a 20, not a 30) and the filter (which was damaged and noisy but works).

But if all the accessories are what you want and are in good shape, it is a good deal. A good stand and a top with a good light are pretty expensive to buy new.

Just spoke on the phone with the owner. The dimensions are 18" highx30"longx12"wide. Does this sound like a desirable size configuration? He currently has water in it with the plants so he said there are definitely no leaks. I asked about the filter, but he called it a bio wheel only he said he filed it with his own media so not sure what the strength is which is what I will check when I go to look at it. He also said it was fresh water. I have things set up to go look at it this afternoon. He did mention it's full of algae. Is that easy to take care of? Truth be told my comet would probably think it was a feast. LOL.

Edited by shadowdrinker83

I would bleach the bejeebus out of everything. You have no idea what cooties could be in there. I think while not optimum being tall, getting him more square footage is definitely good. Petco should be having there dollar a gallon sale around June I think. A 55 for 55 would be awesome!

If I do decide to buy it I'm going to offer less than 40- see if I can get a better deal. I would definitely not use his old filter media either because you are right... no telling what he could have had in that tank or what happened to his fish that he is now getting rid of everything. I will definitely take your advice and clean everything like crazy. Figured I can scrub it up today then put it in my storage unit until we move. Hopefully nothing will survive that might be left.

When I set it up I figure I will use my own filter in addition to his. Mine is cycling currently and his will need to cycle, but I'm hoping mine will help.

Of course all of this is only a huge "if" right now. Still nice to dream though. LOL.

29 is a suitable tank for one comet. If you notice that it's getting too large for the tank you can always upgrade but right now your purpose is to get a tank that fits your fish so the maintenance requirements are reduced and gives him room to grow. A 29 gal will provide that but only if you do not add anymore fish.

$40 for a 29 is really reasonable for my area, most people don't sell any tanks for under $100

Ok, I am definitely not going to be taking the plants after a thread I just read about disinfecting plants before adding them to your tank and all the diseases and organisms they can carry. I think I'm starting to get really paranoid in general about getting a used tank. What if my fish catches something!?

No reason to be paranoid at all. The plants in the fish stores may not be any more hygenic than those from a used tank. Give the plants a dip in a mild bleach solution, rinse, and let them sit a bucket until you feel comfortable. I'm a little anxious too and let my plants sit in clean water for about a week before I rinse again and add the to the tank.

I have only bought used tanks. First a 60 liter, then a 220, then the 144. All were given the bleach solution wipe down, followed by rinsing and rinsing and rinsing, then sun drying. The same fish has lived in all three tanks, all fine.

Filter media, I always tossed.

Ive had my plants QT for about 3 months so far.. Mr paranoid here :lol2

Sounds just like something I'd do. I go into this mental downward spiral any time I read words like "parasite", "fungus", etc... Total panic! LOL.

Edited by shadowdrinker83

Oh yeah I'm the queen of panic here. I can't even go into D&D or I start freaking out. I wish I could bleach dip my new snails, idk if I'll ever trust it enough to put them in with my babies. The tank they came from was gross!

I tried earlier looking up the percentages and couldn't find them but honestly, between bleach and vinegar you will manage to eradicate almost all fungus, bacteria and parasites. As long as they are disinfected it is no different than getting a brand new tank. The same with plants. Fish do have immune systems and what we don't get by doing these preventatory procedures, their systems can handle :)

I wouldn't pass up on such a great deal. Just disinfect the tank really good and it should be good as new. Just make sure it can hold water and that the tank doesn't have scratches that you might not want to deal with or have. Just like any new plant or used as in this case just take one part bleach with 16 parts water and soak for about 15 minutes. When you do upgrade the tank to your forever home you might want to hang onto this 30 for a qt tank. Looking forward to seeing photo's with your fish in it if you get the tank. :)

I tried earlier looking up the percentages and couldn't find them but honestly, between bleach and vinegar you will manage to eradicate almost all fungus, bacteria and parasites. As long as they are disinfected it is no different than getting a brand new tank. The same with plants. Fish do have immune systems and what we don't get by doing these preventatory procedures, their systems can handle :)

I've use 1 cup of bleach to 16 cups of water and soaked my plants in the kitchen sink. I got this information from tithra in the past from a youtube video. (I'm like 99% sure the measurements are correct :) ) This was when I had live plants.

Ok, just got back from getting the tank.... and after seeing what he had going on, I only took the tank and the filter. He did tell me he had a die off from ich which makes my skin crawl, but at least he was honest. I decided against the plants because I don't really want a planted tank, at least not at this point. I also let him keep everything else that was in the tank too as I plan on going mostly bare bottomed. Is there a different ratio for the bleach and water to disinfect the tank and filter (I am throwing out the media)? Or should I do the 1 to 16 ratio? Will this solution also take care of his algae problem? The tank is covered with it.

Awesome... Thanks so much for all your help and encouragement everyone! I'm so excited that a larger home for Goldie is only a few weeks away (I have to wait until we move because of space). Can't wait to get it all set up and share pics!!!

Just make sure you rinse the tank really good to get all the bleach out. And air the tank out also for any smell lingering. When your ready to set up your new tank all you need to do is put your old filter on the back of the 30g tank with your already used media. You do not need to put any of the old fish tank water into your new tank. Just bring over whatever you want from your old tank and inside the new tank. Make sure the water temp is the same and make sure the water quality is the same.

Congrats! I usually disinfect with 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, but it doesn't hurt to make the solution a bit stronger.

Hey Sara Jo, Did you get that info from Tithra youtube video? I don't think 16 or 19 part water will matter much for glass but plants it might then. So maybe for live plants use 19 parts water. If you should ever decide to get live plants. I want to say I did use 16 part water though to 1 part bleach. Perhaps tithra will see this thread. OR, she does have a lot of great video's on youtube. :)

Edited by 4prettyfish