Plant farm

I'm trying to figure out how best to set up a sterlite container for growing only plants. Has anyone set up one outside?

My idea was to put one outside (we don't have North American type mosquitos) for the summer and see if I could grow out some plants to a decent size to be placed in the main tank. Can I just put in regular liquid plant fertilizer?

Is it just a matter of sticking the plants in some dirt covered in gravel, filling with water and occasionally fertilizing? Any tips appreciated.

you can put dirt in tanks? :o whenever i try, the dirt goes flying everywhere and mixes with the water.

you can put dirt in tanks? whenever i try, the dirt goes flying everywhere and mixes with the water.

Yes you can, but you need a cap (sand or gravel) before adding water. Finer caps are better as dirt can spill between larger pieces of gravel.

If compost is used, it solves any issues about adding ferts.

Ok, so potting soil covered in sand. No miracle grow per se although there is the Swedish equivalent. I doubt organic is something that happens in this country. Does the chemical miracle grow damage fish?

I'm trying to figure out how best to set up a sterlite container for growing only plants. Has anyone set up one outside?

My idea was to put one outside (we don't have North American type mosquitos) for the summer and see if I could grow out some plants to a decent size to be placed in the main tank. Can I just put in regular liquid plant fertilizer?

Is it just a matter of sticking the plants in some dirt covered in gravel, filling with water and occasionally fertilizing? Any tips appreciated.

I've done this before, although I took the simple approach. My grow out "pond" as I called it (it was really just a food safe container) was comprised of: hygrophila difformis (wisteria), dechlorinated water, and seachem flourish. That was it; I didn't plant anything per se, I just let it float. I did perform water changes, although they were sporadic at best. It ended up growing like a weed, in fact, it become a hideously tangled mess if it wasn't trimmed regularly.

Where I positioned the tub, it received mostly indirect sunlight bar two or so hours of full sunlight. All in all this was more than adequate for an easy growing plant.

I've tried with my floaty plants just using Flourish and they did....ok. When I started dumping the first bucket I vacuumed out every week, they went nuts. I would go shaded with a little direct sun. I tried it with total sun all day and they got too hot.

Ok, I might give both floating and rooted a try in the container and adding fish water. The container is definitely in a shady part of the terrace (although our 'sun' isn't all that sunny even though it is 'on' all night).

• 3 weeks later...

I need to get myself a tub.

I'm thinking of doing this with either a bucket filter or a small cannister, and putting one or two fish out during the summer to eat the mosquitos and inevitable algae that grow. With the fast growth from sunlight the plants might even live. : P

Anyone know a good source for tubs?

Tractor Supply has a good selection of stock tanks. The Tuff Stuff 40 and 110 have a very good shape for fish.

What I have found best for growing plants is to set up a container fish pond with a continuous water change system like what I did here (starting at post #10). Then drip the overflow water into a plant tub. The plants get the nice fish waste without getting eaten be the fish. You can put a mosquito dunk or some minnows in the plant tub to handle mosquitoes. Algae is not a problem. You can even grow duckweed in the plant tub and feed it to the fish.