Sign in to follow this  
txunade

URGENT: Parasite Outbreak!

I'm sorry for the CAP title, but this is so urgent and im in hell now.....my tank full of parasite...I have no clue about these cuz never seen them before...I cant not tell if these come from my goldfishes or from the garden soil I used for the potted plant.....Just saw 2 last night and now like 30 of them in there...small one is white while the mature one is yellowish.....

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/longmeo60/media/IMG_4689_zps751cc454.mp4.html

the water parameter is perfect 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate.

Please answer ALL the questions from the top, including a clear description of symptoms etc.

For future reference, the URGENT in all caps will suffice. Thanks.

This forum is for goldfish in need of help or just general disease discussion.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

* Ammonia Level (tank):

* Nitrite Level (tank)

* Nitrate level (Tank)

* Ammonia Level (Tap):

* Nitrite Level (Tap)

* Nitrate level (Tap)

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* Water temperature?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video

Edited by ChelseaM

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0.5
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0.5
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0.5
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops (API drop)
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 fluval 306
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress coat
  • * Water temperature? 74 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50%/once week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days, 50% of water
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 150 gallon bare bottom, for 1 month
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 of 4.5" ranchu, 4 of 6" orandas
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Gel and hiraki 3 times/day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 2 of 6" orandas
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prozi
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Nothing at all
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nothing
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? 1 ranchu staying at bottom, but it has been like that for 2 months, no problem with parasite in those 2 months
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Used prazi and quickcure for 1 day or more until the fish cured of fungal...no other diseases ever happened
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. Did post vid with the parasite swimming in it

Is there any way you could outline how you used prazi? It requires a specific method to use it in order to eradicate parasites.

What fungal problems occurred, and when, did this happen?

Also, would you mind redoing a pic of all your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH tests and take a picture of them, please? You have some very curious results.

well, Im trying to find out what is this kind of parasite because I've been looking over the internet...I dont like using prazi for whatever kind of parasite I have....

5 ml per 20 gallon with no carbon filtration, only airpump for 3 days, then I change 100% water, take 1 day break, then apply again for 3 days.

update: I watch the worm for 30 mins and see that they just pass by the goldfish without intention to touch or attach yo the goldfish. I removed all the plants out so there is only fish in water now...hopefully that the soil i got from my garden for those potted plants cause these.....

Edited by txunade

uhm, I guess I should summarize my topic:

Does anyone know what kind of parasite it is in the video?

thx for all the information.

I'm sorry for the CAP title, but this is so urgent and im in hell now.....my tank full of parasite...I have no clue about these cuz never seen them before...I cant not tell if these come from my goldfishes or from the garden soil I used for the potted plant.....Just saw 2 last night and now like 30 of them in there...small one is white while the mature one is yellowish.....

http://s206.photobuc...1cc454.mp4.html

I cant see the pic/vid. It's not coming up sorry.

http://s206.photobuc...1cc454.mp4.html

I cant see the pic/vid. It's not coming up sorry.

i saw it and wish i didnt, it gave me the eeby jeebies :yikes

I am going to ask you to check all your answers that you have given us so far, and revise those that were perhaps inaccurate the first time around, such as the water parameter results.

As you know, we rely on your accurate information to know what steps to take. Because the results you gave us provided a very strange picture, and might even suggest some info fudging, I'd like to see the picture of your tests please.

Thank you.

I have nothing to take a pic now so maybe i will do it later...

i removed all the plant and most of the parasite out, but after 1 hours more appear ==> from one of my goldfish'

:madrant

They look like harmless Oligochaete Worms. Sakura made a video on these.

I could be wrong, because the ones in your video move differently. Edited by Moucho+Moncho

omg Moucho...u give me much hopeeeee......i just hope it is harmless.......but it look so dann nasty....

They look like harmless Oligochaete Worms. Sakura made a video on these.

I believe that these worms were concluded to be nematodes, not oligochaetes. I wish that information was changed. :no:

Also, I understand that you are trying to help, but I would appreciate it if you refrain from making diagnoses, until we have all the info we need. Thanks.

Do you think you can also get a much closer up of the worms, please? You said they were coming from your goldfish...did you see them crawl of the fish, or was that just a guess?

I removed most of them and 1 hour later i see many other big ones....So i guess it comes from my gold fish....I actually watch these parasites but dont see them ever catch on a goldfish...they just hang on glass or plants......everything removed out, only fish and water now.....

hmmm, these parasites must have seen by many hobbyists....or I discover a new species :)

I don't think they are new species of worms that you've discovered, but considering there are so many different types of worms, some of which are pathogenic at worst or indicators of a tank that harbors a lot of dissolved organics, you might want to eliminate or reduce them.

dnalex, thx alot for ur help man...I just clean up my 2 beloved fluval 360....A jungle of parasites in there....I dont know if they live there or they got stuck there...If one of my big goldfish ever been a factory of these parasites, i cant imagine how much more will come up......I got 2 dann final exams tomorrow...and I cant leave the fish tank......grrr, I cant not separate each goldfish out to know where the parasites come from....im super scared but my goldfishes dont give a *************** about this matter.

Your goldfish probably enjoy eating these worms...

In light of all these worms, I would really like for you to carefully test the parameters and post them, so that we can suggest a reasonable maintenance schedules to keep these guys down.

Everything kinda under control since I cleaned up my 2 fluvals....maybe it is right like dnalex....I found alot fresh waste and poop inside the fluval...only 1 or 2 now and then, very small so i dont think i can take a closer vid.......the biggest is just hair like...not as fat as the one in sakura's video.

Hi. I also saw some of these in my tank. After doing research it appears these are detritus worms. They are not parasites and do nothing to the fish. They live in the substrate. I read most aquariums have these but usually go undetected. Usually if you can see them it's due to over feeding which causes an explosion in population. You mentioned you feed 3x a day. That could be way. They only eat waste in the substrate and can actually be beneficial in that regard. Just unnerving to see them. As Dnalex said your fish will eat them.

Cleaning the substrate usually disturbs them into the water column.

They can come from the fish or from the plants you brought into tank.

Just reduce feedings and numbers will be reduced.

Hi. I also saw some of these in my tank. After doing research it appears these are detritus worms. They are not parasites and do nothing to the fish. They live in the substrate. I read most aquariums have these but usually go undetected. Usually if you can see them it's due to over feeding which causes an explosion in population. You mentioned you feed 3x a day. That could be way. They only eat waste in the substrate and can actually be beneficial in that regard. Just unnerving to see them. As Dnalex said your fish will eat them.

Cleaning the substrate usually disturbs them into the water column.

They can come from the fish or from the plants you brought into tank.

Just reduce feedings and numbers will be reduced.

Very good post! :)

The thing that I want to make sure to get across is that while the worms don't necessarily pose any harm to the fish, their presence in great numbers means that your tank has A LOT of detritus, which is not a sign of a healthy tank.