Baby "Panda": A speedy change from white TO black

This is my little (still unnamed...whoops) "Panda" girl when she first arrived. She was skinny, tiny but very energetic.

Unfortunately, she couldn't handle my aquarium. It was the most terrifying thing in the world and now lives in a (larger) breeder box for the time being. Opposite of claustrophobia?

Zi43X1hl.jpg

YBkpeW9l.jpg

She then became a very pretty "panda" colouring, but it didn't stop there...

paCqeWhl.jpg

huOgzGKl.jpg

QtYFns4l.jpg

Full Size

Here she is today, just days after the photos above..Notice she previously didn't even have black under her!

03XAK3El.jpg

Full Size

pPmbMlhl.jpg

Full Size

ecd3sH4l.jpg

Full Size

NHEGBj6l.jpg

Full Size

I know goldfish fry change quickly, but this is quite a fast paced change... Will she stay black? Will she become silver?

We'll find out when the time comes! (Next week! :rofl)

Edited by Chai

She eats a variety of spinach, peas ("PEAS ARE THE GREATEST THING IN THE WORLDDDD" seems to be her reaction to them), "microgreens", different types of lettuce, pellets, flakes, bloodworms and daphnia. She has a more varied diet than me lately. :P

There are a few fish who are 'true black' who get a velvet-y matte black colouration that doesn't depigment over time. This would be where the black moors come from. It is linked to the telescope eye but which kind of eye it is linked to I'm not too sure.

So yes fish can get blacker. All fish will have an adjustment period from being kept in one type of water condition to the next. Some of this even includes the altering of their color.

With such a tiny fish it can be just still be 'fry coloring' stage. The conditions it was kept in before could've caused it to lighten or pale and when kept in your conditions it could've returned to it's fry coloring. Telescopes normally are given a longer time to develop than other fast growing breeds like ryukins and ranchus.

So will she stay black? Maybe. :P

This reminds me of Green Tea's crystal ranchu who is turning black. What kind of lighting are you using?

I have full spectrum lighting. I'd have to go check to tell you the strength but I believe it's 10,000k

There are a few fish who are 'true black' who get a velvet-y matte black colouration that doesn't depigment over time. This would be where the black moors come from. It is linked to the telescope eye but which kind of eye it is linked to I'm not too sure.

So yes fish can get blacker. All fish will have an adjustment period from being kept in one type of water condition to the next. Some of this even includes the altering of their color.

With such a tiny fish it can be just still be 'fry coloring' stage. The conditions it was kept in before could've caused it to lighten or pale and when kept in your conditions it could've returned to it's fry coloring. Telescopes normally are given a longer time to develop than other fast growing breeds like ryukins and ranchus.

So will she stay black? Maybe. :P

I suppose only time will tell. I'll just sit back and watch her continue to change. Thank you for the info! :icecream

Very nice! :)

Thank you~ :hug:heart

I think the black is very pretty and not harmful to the fish, but I think that is the same lighting Green Tea uses and her crystal ranchu who was almost entirely white with some black on her head is slowly turning into a black fish.

Oh, wow! I never thought to take the lighting into consideration since I didn't think it could play a factor into colour changes. I'm not upset with the change, though. She's looking prettier every day! :wub:

Edited by Chai

She's absolutely gorgeous either way! I can't believe it can happen that quickly though. I must admit I'm glad my black fish stayed black, it's an awesome colour for fishies hehe :)

Thanks everyone! She really does look like a new fish. :P

I'll post with updates if she goes through any more big changes.

I think he's confused... Is he changing back??

Yeah the black turned back to white..

What an odd little fish. :P

Cute either way!

ETA: Maybe she is a mood ring after all. If I remember correctly, black wasn't a good colour on those rings!! ):

Edited by Chai

She's finally putting on some weight (hooray hikari pellets and bloodworms!!) and becoming a much stronger swimmer... Doesn't mean she's a GOOD swimmer but we're getting there!

Iy713hLl.jpg

Still curious as to what she'll end up being! :idont

I suppose this will be the last update for a while. We're just back at square one anyway. :rofl

I guess from what had happened, retrospectively we can conclude that all that extra black was indeed from terrible ammonia burns (in the shop tank), which has now healed nicely. :)

How is that possible if I have had her since waaaay before the black appeared? I don't mean to sound condescending I just don't understand ammonia burns very well. :blush:

I'm also thinking it could have been the full-spectrum lighting (she's under an energy efficient light now) or if it was just a weird time for her. :blink:

ETA: I looked through the seller who I bought her from and most of the babies tha appeared to be from the same batch of fry are all turning black as well...

Yeah I think I should just stop questioning it. OAO

Edited by Chai