Sign in to follow this  
Saraphim

Did I get jipped, or is this guy just too young to tell?

Hello, my fellow Goldfish enthusiasts! Though I've been on this site many times looking for answers, this is my first post. :) I've mostly only ever raised Ryukins and Telescope Eye Goldfish, but, on one of my trips through the pet store, I ran across this beautiful Red Cap Oranda, with a very pronounced wen, a healthy, full body, and wonderfully bright coloring. I just HAD to have him, so I brought him home and decided I had to have another. So, a couple weeks ago, I went to my local fish store and had two Fancy Goldies, one a Panda Moor, and the other a Blue Oranda, special ordered for me from the store's preferred breeder. They are both very young, especially the Panda, who is so cute and tiny I almost can't believe it. But, the Blue Oranda concerns me. Now, I realize that he is still a youngster, but even at such a young stage, shouldn't he slightly resemble an Oranda? Right now, he is very streamlined, his scales are a muddy brown color, and he has absolutely no wen growth at all. I'm new to Orandas in general, so my confusion might just stem from having little knowledge of Oranda growth and development, but I can't help feeling that I might have gotten a little jipped. Perhaps I'm just too closely comparing him to my already beautiful Red Cap, who, coincidentally, is nearly the same size as my Blue Oranda. Will he eventually grow into the beautiful Blue Oranda that he is supposed to be, or did he just inherit some bad genes? Either way, I will love him. He's my little ugly duckling. :) But, I'm also curious as to might there be anything that I can do for him or feed to him that might enhance his wen growth? I've read that Blood worms might help him out in that department, but what do you think?

I've included some pictures of him next to my Red Cap. Some of them are blurry. Sorry about that :x Also, don't mind the ugly background behind my tank. I had their tank on the floor as I prepared their new 55 gallon home. Any thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are more than welcome!

IMAG0018_zps1179cd04.jpgIMAG0021_zpse93bf50e.jpg

Edited by Saraphim

IMAG0018_zps1179cd04.jpg

IMAG0021_zpse93bf50e.jpg

I posted your pictures for you! :) They're really cute!

They both look like orandas to me! My Cleo didn't grow any kind of wen until I'd had her six months. Give her a good diet, and clean water--you'll be amazed how much they change.

Edited by yafashelli

Your little guy is still small enough that you could see nice wen growth, but that is definitely NOT blue in color. Slightly chocolate that is quickly turning to orange/red and white, or possibly tri-colored- kinda... still not even deeply colored for a chocolate. Definitely not blue. On the up side, the color pattern that the little cutie has is really nice, so s/he will still look very lovely after the color change is complete, and be a nice match with your red cap.

Bloodworms are the best for wen growth, you are correct. Hikari oranda/lionhead foods are also rated well for inspiring nice wen growth. The hikari lionhead made my whole tank smell like a swamp, though, and since it is a large tank, this was quite prevalent in a large portion of the rest of my house, as well. Not saying it isn't a good food for your fish, it is- just beware that it may cause a not so pleasant odor, if you feed it more than occasionally.

Congrats on the adorable new addition! <3

Thank, very much, for fixing them for me, yafashelli! And thanks for the input. :) I have to remind myself that patience pays off. These are my only three Goldies at the moment, so they'll be pretty spoiled!

I can't tell if she's an oranda or not because she's so small. She's a cutie though. It will be fun to see what color changes she goes through. My Oranda's did not have a wen either when they were young. It took mine awhile to develop anything like one on my smaller fish. I think two of the best things you can do for a fish is give them plenty of room in their tank and don't over crowd it. And do frequent large water changes. I do a 80% wc every 5 days and I believe that's why my fish are developing so well.

Very cute.

I suspected as much about not really being a Blue colored Oranda. I'll definitely have to pick up some Hikari Oranda on my next trip out, though. Hikari is good stuff. :D Thank you all for the advice!

They are adorable little fishies! :)

It looks like a blue that is going through a color change towards a red/white oranda. Most often when a blue changes the silvery scales turn white and the darker brown ones turn orange. My blue oranda took forever to have noticeable headgrowth. Now he has good growth. Add some bloodworms to his diet and it will help him have more headgrowth. Welcome to kokos!

Hello,

What a beautiful red cap.

The blue oranda is definitely an oranda, but not a very good one, if you go with the standards of show orandas. Moreover, it's also mostly not blue. :(

I have the same issue but with my Lionhead. He hasn't shown any signs of a wen yet, but feeding him well and hopefully he will within the next year! :)

Hello, my fellow Goldfish enthusiasts! Though I've been on this site many times looking for answers, this is my first post. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png I've mostly only ever raised Ryukins and Telescope Eye Goldfish, but, on one of my trips through the pet store, I ran across this beautiful Red Cap Oranda, with a very pronounced wen, a healthy, full body, and wonderfully bright coloring. I just HAD to have him, so I brought him home and decided I had to have another. So, a couple weeks ago, I went to my local fish store and had two Fancy Goldies, one a Panda Moor, and the other a Blue Oranda, special ordered for me from the store's preferred breeder. They are both very young, especially the Panda, who is so cute and tiny I almost can't believe it. But, the Blue Oranda concerns me. Now, I realize that he is still a youngster, but even at such a young stage, shouldn't he slightly resemble an Oranda? Right now, he is very streamlined, his scales are a muddy brown color, and he has absolutely no wen growth at all. I'm new to Orandas in general, so my confusion might just stem from having little knowledge of Oranda growth and development, but I can't help feeling that I might have gotten a little jipped. Perhaps I'm just too closely comparing him to my already beautiful Red Cap, who, coincidentally, is nearly the same size as my Blue Oranda. Will he eventually grow into the beautiful Blue Oranda that he is supposed to be, or did he just inherit some bad genes? Either way, I will love him. He's my little ugly duckling. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png But, I'm also curious as to might there be anything that I can do for him or feed to him that might enhance his wen growth? I've read that Blood worms might help him out in that department, but what do you think?

I've included some pictures of him next to my Red Cap. Some of them are blurry. Sorry about that :x Also, don't mind the ugly background behind my tank. I had their tank on the floor as I prepared their new 55 gallon home. Any thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are more than welcome!

IMAG0018_zps1179cd04.jpgIMAG0021_zpse93bf50e.jpg

Since it's been a while and if you're still checking in, how has your little one come along?

Could we please not bring up threads more than 3 months old?

Thank you. :heart

My oranda still barely has a wen. Some just get bigger then others.

Sorry! I get caught up reading the posts and forget to check the date. I wish I could delete my posts when I mess up lol. I have a "blue" oranda just like this one and was hoping to see how it turned out

:(

Sorry! I get caught up reading the posts and forget to check the date. I wish I could delete my posts when I mess up lol. I have a "blue" oranda just like this one and was hoping to see how it turned out

:(

Tiffany, no worries. :)