Eggs!

So I woke up this morning (feeling very ill because I am sick) and saw Kai being chased! i felt really bad for her so I took her out and put her in a makeshift colander. She ended up spewing eggs everywhere! so I tossed in a makeshift spawning mop and gently hand spawned her, which didn't take much effort since she was basically dripping eggs. I took my male ryukin Ikura and did the same and swished the milt around. I have tons of eggs, so hopefully a few have been fertilized!

null-8.jpg

null-9.jpg

null-10.jpg

I really can't wait to see if any develop! :happydance

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milt is very concentrated. It is designed to be able to fertilize a lot of eggs in very in opportune places in a short amount of time.

I figured as much! I have a macro lens and will post some close ups later!

I'm not sure if the other just haven't reached that point yet or died or what. The eggs are like a yellowy amber type color. In the beginning some where white so I removed those. I hope more show signs of development soon (if at all) the boys were chasing Kai again a bit this morning but I felt her and she didn't feel eggy. But perhaps there are more eggs in the future!

So it appears only two will be developing, so I carefully moved them into their own tiny container and left the rest where they are for now (just in case). The two that arelef t are scooting around inside their little eggs and it's SO cute. I tried to get some pics of their tiny eyes but they were too shy. So have these two attempts.

DSC00527.jpg

kind of?!

DSC00532.jpg

tiny spine!

I know a few people have had a few fry and have raised them so post any tips! I really don't know what I want to feed them once they hatch and their yolksacs are used up.

They don't need any food for the first 3 days, they consume their yolk sac and food mainly is uneaten and fouls water at this time. If you have any floating plants: duckweed, elodia,etc.. add those after a disinfection. The tiny roots and microbugs that are attracted to them are the perfect food. There is also first bites.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FryFood.html :)

here! is a nifty video of the fry moving around a bit inside the egg from last night.

This morning the first one hatched! He has a nice straight back but is just chillin on his side (which is normal I think) still waiting on his sibling to hatch out. I would honestly be thrilled if one or both made it. I went out and bought anacharis today for the fry to live in/find some food in.

485403_10200563405240583_581938255_n.jpg