Best and cheap lighting

I want a light to go on my 40 gallon breeder tank. I have java ferns so nothing bright. I only want it to view my fish better, do you guys have anything that you would recommend? Also I need a hood so do you have anything that you would recommend? The hood preferably could have a filter space for my aqueon 55/75

• Supporter

I dont like LED for gold fish it just dont bring out their colors. You need a light that has a spike in the red spectrum. I know petsmart has some good 2x36" T5's that are great i have the 48" one for my 80 and it works great and was cheep for lighting. I'd also advise on getting one that goes all the was across the top of the tank. :)

Good luck

Edited by Daniel E.

The glass versa tops make great hoods.

I use the aquatic life t5ho and it's a great light, but might be a little more pricey than what you are looking for.

I've heard good reviews about the aqueon t5s and they are prety inexpensive.

• Supporter

The glass versa tops make great hoods.

I use the aquatic life t5ho and it's a great light, but might be a little more pricey than what you are looking for.

I've heard good reviews about the aqueon t5s and they are prety inexpensive.

I think that is what mine is "aqueon"

I have an odyssea brand light on several of my tanks from ebay. Also, you don't need a cover if your light doesn't sit on it. I only have covers for my oscar and betta tanks.

I have an aqueon hood that came with lights on my bigger tank and I like it. I know they sell that brand on the 40g breeder either at Petsmart or Petco. Probably at both locations. I also have a glass canopy with LED lights on my smaller tank and like it a little bit more, I think. I definitely like the look of a glass canopy more. I think either lights are just as good. You can probably find sales going on just about anywhere you look.