Sign in to follow this  
dankriscurly

how much do u feed to prevent SBD?

Hey do u guys actually count how many pellot for each fish?

As I have reduce my 2small spoonful of sinking hikari pellets

To 1spoonful for 7x 12-15cm fancies gf

Yet the more greedy ones still has e floating issue!!

Every 2days I fed with frozen bloodworms

And alternate days with peas..

Only 2 of them that always ended up gasping for more food and taking lots of air gets e sbd...

Could it be their habit thats killing them?

Mostly I just try to make sure the pellets (or whatever type of dry food) get soaked in some tank water 1st. That seems to help prevent problems. MOSTLY I feed gel food & have not had ANY floaty problems with that.

Now ONE of my fish likes to gulp air at the surface now & then (I have decided it is done to TICK ME OFF!) She manages to get very bouyant for awhile after some serious gulping...but it goes away.

I've stopped feeding pellet now, even a well soaked pellet isn't ideal imho. Mine are thriving on repashy gel food. Ideal for the delicate digestive system of fancies.

I did soak all pellets

I actually mix a few hikari type into 1 container

Although I accidently mixup with the floating pellet but I did smash it and let it sink before I feed..

We can hardly get ready gel food or repashy in my LFS (ASIA)

GUESS I really have to cut down more

My littlest guy can have problems with progold pellets if he eats too many in one sitting. One time I fed them all he got his mouth on four pellets somehow in one sitting when he should only get 2 (he's really, really small)! He got all floaty and so I have been very careful that he doesn't get too many when I feed them. So it could also be that the greedy guy is just getting way too many pellets.

I don't count every pellet, however, I do weigh my fish and then weigh out their food whether it be pellets or gel foods. And then I take my time to make sure each individual gets a majority of their pellets. We're working on hand feeding :)

The diet at our house is very varied. I have a homemade gel food, repashy super green, sometimes peas, and spinach, green beans, and then progold pellets. I'm also going to add repashy solient green here soon as well. Their favorite is the homemade gel food, gel food is very easy to make and is actually really cheap. You get a LOT of food out of one batch and it's very helpful for floaters!

This is a question that I spend quite a bit of time thinking about. I definitely don't have the answers, but I think that like wens and humps, a large part of it is genetics. Breeding fish to be more compacted means that a good number of these fish will end up with issues of floatiness, sinking, or some sort of disregulation of the swim bladder. I think that having the more "right" foods, with less fillers and being closer to what a goldfish might eat in the wild will help, but in the end, it's their body shape that will fail them. Longer bodied goldfish rarely experience these issues, and compact fancies in ponds also do not appear to have as much of a problem.

Its strange when even both bubble-eyes that has longer body gets float

I Think I really have to give just 2 pellets per day lol

I stopped feeding pellets as my little girl with SBD was getting very floaty afterwords. Her diet consists of gel food (both homemade and repashy), bloodworms and planty of green veggies and it seems to help a bit. She has better and worse days but as long as she is mobile and is able to get to the bottom of the tank, I am happy.