Betta with Velvet or possible external fungus? :(

Test Results for the Following:

Currently unable to get accurate measurements due to Fungus Cure treatment. Will list previous numbers.

* Ammonia Level (tank): 0

* Nitrite Level (tank) 0

* Nitrate level (Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level (Tap): 0

* Nitrite Level (Tap) 0

* Nitrate level (Tap) 0

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ~7.2

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0

Tank information:

* Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API drops

* Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) n/a, currently upgrading to 10g with a Fluval U1 still containing BB. His current tank has airstone running at all times and he used to love swimming through them all the time :(

* Additives and conditioners: Start Right

* Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): 80 - 84F

* Last water change date: 2 days ago

* Tank size (Gallons or litres): 3g

* Fish in the tank (species and number): 1, male double tail betta

* Any new fish added into the tank: no, lives alone

-If Yes: Were they quarantined?

-If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added):

* List prior health issues in tank: poor appetite

* Medications previously added to the tank: Fungus Cure

* Medications on hand: Fungus Cure, Ich Away, Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt (currently low on it), Anti-Bacterial food. I've never needed to use anything except Ich Away on previous cichlid tank.

Affected fish information:

* Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: Freeze-dried and frozen bloodworms, daphnia, mysis. Takes quite a while to finish food, this is what triggered the worrying.

* Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: Scratching against plants/gravel, bottom sitting, delayed reaction when he sees me, loss of interest in anything :'(

* Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: Grey/black areas on fins/body, looks like a fungus

* Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: see above

* Current medications being used on affected fish: Jungle Fungus Cure

* Previous medications used to treat affected fish: n/a, this is the first time I have treated him

* If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken:)

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Will provide photos and/or video tomorrow if possible

Hi everyone.

For mother's day I bought my mom a gorgeous male betta with a stunning pearl-like colour... Such a shiny fish!

She loves bettas and has missed having one since ours passed away ten years ago. Little guy lived past the expected life span and was truly a joy to see every day.

Her new betta named Charlie was doing great until a few days after arriving when he decided that eating wasn't going to happen.

We've tried flakes, pellets, "betta bites" and he finally showed interest in frozen and freeze-dried worms and daphnia.

Suddenly he stopped eating well (only eating probably 1 freeze dried daphnia , ignoring the rest and eventually not eating anything) and began to develop a strange black/grey fungus looking appearance mainly on his fins and not much on his body. I started doing daily water changes, monitored parameters extremely closely and nothing changed.

I introduced the first dosage of Fungus Cure and then today repeated the dose as instructed on the package. He's not looking any better, his reactions to seeing us have been extremely delayed, he mainly sits by "his (live) plant" on the bottom of the tank and he completely refuses to eat. I've also noticed he's been scratching himself against his plants whenever he gathers up the strength to get up. He will occasionally look at me, do a little turn, scratch on the plant and sink back down to the bottom.

I'm not sure what else I can do for him and I'm afraid that if he continues to not eat he won't make it through the rest of the Fungus Cure treatment even though there aren't many days left of it. I tried dipping some of the food in garlic water and he completely ignored it. :unsure:

Do I try to transfer him over to the 10g tank that's currently not being used? Give it more time? I'm so afraid of losing him as he's become quite fond of me and the feeling is very much mutual. :'(

Thanks.

I know I'm new at this, but could he possibly have flukes or some type of parasite since he is scratching?

I can't help with the disease part sorry, but I am sure Narny will probably be around soon and should be able to help.

In regards to the eating, the best bet is to go back to where you got him from and ask what they feed their bettas. I did the same for my first betta as he wouldn't eat and once I brought the same pellets as they used to feed him, he would gobble them down. Maybe also try to keep going with the frozen worms, mine loves bloodworms, but be sure there isn't too much left over food in the tank.

Best of luck, he is absolutely gorgeous!

there's no signs of fungus, so please discontinue the use with that medication. There's also no signs of velvet, so I don't think we need worry about that :)

Please remove the medication with two 50% water changes

Do you have Praziquantel and aquarium salt?

Edited by Narny105

Okay will do! I do not have Prazi but I will pick that up today.

What do you think that grey is if it is not a fungus? :(

It seems to really be bothering him.

Edited by Chai

Alright the water is still a little green but clean, treated and back up to temperature. I'm going to go pick up some prazi from my LPS. He gave me a good fight getting into the net so I at least see he has plenty of energy in him. :)

I'll wait for your reply before using the prazi since I don't know if I have to do anything specific.

Edited by Chai

It's quite gentle and should hopefully help, however I also want you to add some aquarium salt in as well.

The grey just looks like his normal colouration, however if it is fungus the salt will deal with that. I think the itching and bottom sitting is being caused by significant external parasites on him- don't be alarmed if he is more skittish in the salt and prazi, since stripping parasites is also quite irritating.

Add in 1tsp of aquarium salt per 2 gallons dissolved, leave that in for a few hours, and if he is seeming fine in the salt, add in the prazi as per directions on the bottle. You will need to do 3-4 rounds of the medication, so here is the protocol I'd like you to follow:

Day 1: Big WC (50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Alright. I actually went ahead and added in the Prazi a few hours ago. He's now in a 10g with the cycled Fluval filter (with some extra filter floss to dim down the intake) and a larger heater because since he was in a 3g, I was only able to use one of those little Aqueon heaters that aren't adjustable and it was getting cold at night to a point where his tank was barely getting past 75F. Just being in the tank with the prazi dosage and a comfortable 85F seemed to perk him up a TON. He's bottom sitting less and instead sitting on top of the heater (which he did in the smaller tank, it's his safe zone and his sleeping spot. The top of the heater is plastic so it's not a burning hazard.) and responding to me talking to him. :wub:

Adding the salt seemed to spook him a little but he doesn't seem too bothered, just curious as to what my hand was doing in there again. Hoping tomorrow I can try to feed him because his loss in appetite is still worrying me.

Thank you so much for your help! I'll be sure to follow your instructions and post with any updates.

YO93EZyl.jpg

"I'm beginning to feel like myself again.. :goldfish: " (yes I've been shaking off those darn bubbles, don't worry!)

I also noticed that some of the grey that was on his fins appears to be lighter now. Let's hope he's feeling even better tomorrow. (:

Edited by Chai

A little update.

He's no longer bottom sitting as long, the grey on his fins has almost completely vanished but he's still struggling to swim quite a but and not interested in eating. It's only been a few days so this is at leasy an improvement from the 24/7 bottom sitting and only moving his eyes around.

He's managed to get his fins stuck on the side of the filter but I've since put a pantyhose over it to prevent him from injuring himself.

I'm still worried about how weak he is but every day he seems a tiiiiny bit more like himself. Hoping its only up hill from here.

Just ended round 1 today and replaced the salt.

Short lttle video update of him being cute and curious. :D

Poor thing is still feeling miserable but at least he's trying. (:

http://youtu.be/5Q_PV6k85yc

It's way too blurry until about :15. I was fiddling with it trying to get it to focus. :s

Edited by Chai

He's looking great and still refusing to eat. I'm getting worried since it'll be coming up on two weeks without eating soon.

I've tried everything and nothing seems to appeal to him. I'm going away for the weekend and hoping my mom can get him to eat while I'm gone. :(

One thing I haven't tried is live food but that's really difficult to find around here.

Edited by Chai

I'll be picking some up first thing when I get back home on Monday. Mom says he's still doing great so maybe he'll be up for eating then. :)

Watched him eat a daphnia or two last night. Those were his favourite so let's hope his appetite sticks around. :)

He's declining rapidly today. Having trouble getting up off the tank floor... I don't have clove oil and I don't think I can bring myself to use any of the other methods. My vet office is closed so I can't run over there and ask for them to humanely euthanize him.

Just when I thought things were getting better. :cry:

I noticed he's still alive and kicking today. Made me tear up when I saw how excited he was to see me.

We're on round 3, I believe. Going onto 4.

I'll post a video later today. He's trying so hard and making himself worse by rejecting everything we try to feed him. I'll see what other frozen foods my LPS has and see if there's anything at all we can try with him.

My girls love the Omega One shrimp pellets. I tried them with my betta before but this time I let them sit too long and they broke apart. Charlie is in a betta cup because I'm scrubbing out his qt as well as possible and I dropped a falling apart pellet in there just to test it out... He attacked it! He continues to chew some and spit them out but he's still attacking the pellets right now. I'm assuming some of those bites are being swallowed...

Oh man, this is a wonderful surprise!! Eat, Charlie! Eat!! :)

ETA: I never know what direction he's going, it seems.

Clearly he's not willing to give up.

Edited by Chai

He ate!!!! I put one frozen bloodworm (hikari this time) in a small bowl that he was floating in inside his tank (so he could get to it and see it easily) and he devoured it! I fed him a good amount of them and he was pleased as could be!! I'll be finishing this last round of prazi just to be safe but I guess we've found what he likes and that I should put him in a little dish so he can eat easier for the time being. I'm so happy oh my god :')