Green water experts

Hi guys I have been doing a bit of research about Green Water and its benefits. So I thought I'll give it a go and start from scratch. Since its winter time here....I'll do this as my winter project and compare my results at spring time.

Now I need some help from anyone out there who has tried it as I am newbie regarding this. Any positive or negative feedback will be greatly appreciated.

This is my plan :

Set up a 40gal tank for GW(green water) and have the goldfish in there for the entire winter. Only 2 goldfish will be in the GW setup 2 weeks at time ( There will be 4 ranchu's ). So every 2 weeks I will be rotating them between GW and clear water.

Here are the questions I have :

* what equipment do I need.

* is it best to have the setup outdoors or can I have it indoors.

* how do I go about and prepare the green water culture. ( I know there are lots of answers for this on the web but what are your methods)

* once the GW is established what sort of maintenance work is required to keep it green and healthy.

* do you have any tips or do's and dont's of GW.

Thanks in advance.

On my opinion, I don't like green water. It depletes the oxygen and can suffocate your goldfish when the lights are off. And I don't know how to "prepare" green water. My tank is jut infront of a window and it turns green.

I'm a GW user but sorry I don't really understand your goals either. My advice for you is to learn as much as possible about GW b4 actually putting your precious fish in there. The chemistry in GW/CW are relatively different and they need to be managed differently. Here is a link to help you.There is a GW section.http://vermilliongoldfishclub.com/

Hi guys thanks for your feedbacks. What I wanted to see was if I could put some size on my goldies both head growth and body and see if there would be any change in their color.

Thanks lionchu for the link... I'll check it out.

Interesting, have you attempted It yet or still in the planning stage?

Still in the planning stage....doing abit more research :)

Ahhh I see in that case I'll MSG the site that I use to help me with my foray into green water and I provide so answer to your question from your opening post, hope it helps

* what equipment do I need. (lights that simulates sunlight, heater maybe, tubs/bins/bottle, air bump/stone)

* is it best to have the setup outdoors or can I have it indoors. (can have it outdoors or in)

* how do I go about and prepare the green water culture. (with fish or without fish method are two ways you can go about it one is faster but stressful for your fish and the other method is longer)

* once the GW is established what sort of maintenance work is required to keep it green and healthy. (when it gets too green do a water change take 10% as seed then get rid of the rest, refill and add prime then once that's done dump in the "seed")

* do you have any tips or do's and dont's of GW. (make sure what you have is green water and not brown, make sure it didn't randomly crash, and lastly be sure your fish can handle it.)

Thanks in advance.

Ahhh I see in that case I'll MSG the site that I use to help me with my foray into green water and I provide so answer to your question from your opening post, hope it helps

* what equipment do I need. (lights that simulates sunlight, heater maybe, tubs/bins/bottle, air bump/stone)

* is it best to have the setup outdoors or can I have it indoors. (can have it outdoors or in)

* how do I go about and prepare the green water culture. (with fish or without fish method are two ways you can go about it one is faster but stressful for your fish and the other method is longer)

* once the GW is established what sort of maintenance work is required to keep it green and healthy. (when it gets too green do a water change take 10% as seed then get rid of the rest, refill and add prime then once that's done dump in the "seed")

* do you have any tips or do's and dont's of GW. (make sure what you have is green water and not brown, make sure it didn't randomly crash, and lastly be sure your fish can handle it.)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the input clone702008 :)