Aggressive Revlon

We started to notice that our ryukin Revlon is acting like a thug.

Especially during feeding, when she will deliberately chase Tumblelina and Hershey around, or give them body slams, or nips at them.

Tumblelina always fights back but Hershey is too gentle and so he always retreats and has a small split in his dorsal.

I've resorted to placing Revlon in a floating basket for now. She seems to realize she is in prison and tries to break away though.

Ironically whilst the others love coming towards my hand during feeding, Revlon is the only one who stays away and only eats food that I drop to the bottom.

What can I do to help? If it helps to know, she is the latest addition to the tank of all the goldies.

Love the prison photo! :peeka:teehee

I'm sorry I cannot offer any helpful suggestions but good luck.

Edited by Flipper

I can't help, but the photo is the cutest, he looks so sad and naughty. Hope you sort it out, I guess it depends how bad it is or gets.

Try doing a big water change, and then rearrange your entire tank. Sometimes this has the effect of resetting the landscape for everyone, and it may help.

After that, sell Revlon to Helen for...

http://youtu.be/-DJtHL3NV1o

atarebur.jpg

Jokes aside, I'm hoping that the floating basket might help for now as I really like my tank layout currently.

I have a theory that she's acting this naughty because she's a little spooked by me still. (Because I notice the bullying is more intense during feeding and she runs away from my hands)

I wonder if by keeping her in the basket and taking time for her to learn that my hand= food might help.

• Supporter

for training to eat from your hand, sure, that will help. is she difficult to catch in the colander? i wonder if it will be better to leave her free in the tank during normal times and then just catch her in the colander for feeding?

Try doing a big water change, and then rearrange your entire tank. Sometimes this has the effect of resetting the landscape for everyone, and it may help.

After that, sell Revlon to Helen for...

http://youtu.be/-DJtHL3NV1o

this made me lolloloolol

for training to eat from your hand, sure, that will help. is she difficult to catch in the colander? i wonder if it will be better to leave her free in the tank during normal times and then just catch her in the colander for feeding?

Do you reckon it'll cause her stress if I leave her in there for a few days just to see if her aggression subsides?

It isn't too hard to catch her but I don't want her to associate humans=colander=prison.

• Supporter

she might associate humans+colander=prison if she's kept in there for a few days.

but she might interpret it as humans+colander=handfeeding.. hola! foodies *derp derp* :D if she's only in there for a feed :)

How are things going, Josh?

She's a psychopath! Lol.

After a brief time-out in the floating basket I released her, but he bullying hasn't stopped.

Because Hershey had another split in his dorsal today I've decided to try isolating Revlon in the basket for a little longer. At least until Hershey's fin heals. They're quite clean splits along the rays so I think he'll be okay if left alone.

Thanks for asking Alex!

How is learning to handfeed revlon?

She's still not responding well to my hand and tends to shy away. Waits till the food drops and lands before attempting to pick it up.

I feel bad watching her plan her breakaway from prison but its a necessary evil to allow Hershey's fins to heal.