Sign in to follow this  
Drowsy

Goldfish gone... green?

So one of my pond goldfish is the comet I rescued fromt he turtle tank at petco.

He was the typical brown/bronze when I put him int he pond, but now he has turned... green?

He shines irridescent green in the sunlight, now. It's really strange!

I've never had a goldfish do this before.

tumblr_mm8jdo0jEO1qmdkmlo1_1280.png

tumblr_mm8jdo0jEO1qmdkmlo2_1280.png

It's even brighter in person.

Wow! That is one interesting color! I wonder how that happened!?

Is (s)he Irish?

That would be fry green :) Looks like you have a naturally coloured goldfish.

Sometimes the dark melanin colours like black and brown wash out to expose a more permanent colour. This green colour sometimes continues on to adulthood but is used mainly as a camouflage defense mechanism for fry.

That would be fry green :) Looks like you have a naturally coloured goldfish.

Sometimes the dark melanin colours like black and brown wash out to expose a more permanent colour. This green colour sometimes continues on to adulthood but is used mainly as a camouflage defense mechanism for fry.

It's gooorgeous. xD

I wish he would keep it, but I bet he will lose it. so I'm just enjoying it while it lasts.

I've not seen that before. My wild-colored fish are all shades of brown-bronze-coppery in color. I've heard of fry green, but I haven't seen even a picture of one THAT green. Do you have some Una?

Wow, that is awesome!

I will have to check if I get fry this year. My fish were too young last year.

I haven't decided the culls I'm going to do this year, I have around 600 gal - 1400 gal pond to build in the basement for the winter so I don't know how many fry I'm going to keep to grow out.

Edit: My last batch fry I found when I had fry 7 yrs ago had almost 75% this colour. I only had single tails from a common(f)Xnac calico fantail(m)

Edited by bodoba

Very cool.

I have an oranda that is currently that color too! I bought him when he was blue, then he turned a bronze/chocolate. And just when I thought orange was going to be next, he turned green! The exact same shade as your fish :o

I have around 600 gal - 1400 gal pond to build in the basement for the winter so I don't know how many fry I'm going to keep to grow out.

You folks know how to make a guy jealous.

I've not seen that before. My wild-colored fish are all shades of brown-bronze-coppery in color. I've heard of fry green, but I haven't seen even a picture of one THAT green. Do you have some Una?

Una?

I have around 600 gal - 1400 gal pond to build in the basement for the winter so I don't know how many fry I'm going to keep to grow out.

You folks know how to make a guy jealous.

Makes me jealous, too! xD

I haven't decided the culls I'm going to do this year, I have around 600 gal - 1400 gal pond to build in the basement for the winter so I don't know how many fry I'm going to keep to grow out.

Edit: My last batch fry I found when I had fry 7 yrs ago had almost 75% this colour. I only had single tails from a common(f)Xnac calico fantail(m)

Did any of them stay that color?

Maybe he thinks he's a turtle.

Cool beans. Green is my favorite color! Never saw a fish like that though. Love her!!! :heart

Did any of them stay that color?

I had to move away and abadoned the project, I only had the fry for a month and then gave them up. I look forward to fry this time as I KNOW I have a good 5 yrs here. :)

nice :)

Una?

Una is bodoba's weekend name :rofl

nice :)

shelly, referring to the pic in your sig. your fish are looking awesome hun, that red tele is a stunner :wub:

How pretty. :)

That is a beautiful colour :)

What an interesting shade of green.