Making plants work - structure

Hiya! I'm starting up a 55 gallon tropical tank for tetras, so that I can experiment with plants and they won't become salads :)

I'm not near ready to start it up yet, but traveling out of town in the next few days to go to a pet shop so I wanted to ask this now.

My working plan is to get different pieces of driftwood and hook them together (think Superglue would work?) in sort of a lattice-like structure. Scientific, realistic, perfectly to scale example photo:

driftwood_zpsf07525e1.png

So I'm thinking it'll just be a bottom-to-top structure that would be against the back of the tank and become the support for mosses and plants and such. Then the front/middleish area would be open for swimming.

I'm a total newbie so I'm wondering if this sounds like an okay plan to you all! I really like driftwood and have a couple large pieces that I'm not currently using, so that's where the idea was hatched.

Edit: Just realized this area is for goldfish planted tanks...mods, please move if you think it would fit elsewhere! :D

Edited by kaylaj2355

Super Glue works great and a lot of members use rubber bands also if you don't have the patience to wait for the glue to dry. Not sure about your plan for your tropical tank because I don't have one and haven't had much luck with live plants. Much success to you and your tank. :)

Thanks so much! I wonder how Superglue works on the driftwood...after I posted, I actually started wondering if zip-ties might be easier :)

Aquarium silicone works and is safe!!! good luck and have fun:-)

I think plants are pretty easy. Good substrate, light and a little fert and off they go!!! I found the longer you leave the lights on the faster they grow !!!

Thanks guys! I think I will go with the silicon, I'm going to be attaching so much after all :P I'll have to search the forum for fertilizer posts!

for

Thanks guys! I think I will go with the silicon, I'm going to be attaching so much after all :P I'll have to search the forum for fertilizer posts!

for the ferts I use root tabs and flourish. I started also using the flourish excel and iron when I got the red plants.

Oh thank you! I have root tabs, but I admit they confused me. On the package it said to use one tab per every 30 sq inches of substrate, which I understand, but then it said that in a normal 10 gallon tank, you should have about 6 tabs. I don't want to overdo it or anything!

• 3 weeks later...

better to start off slow with the ferts. depends on the size of your plants and how many you have. I have a 46 gal planted with a lot of plants and usually stick in 10 about every 3 months. the liquid flourish I put in a capful weekly of the regular flourish and the iron. I was adding a couple capfuls of the flourish excel (liquid carbon ) every few days but now I just add when I think of it. I ordered them all from foster and smith's website. They have information you can read about the products.