Comet Has Red Marks On Fins

Guest RAR

Hey everyone. This weekend I noticed that my comet has developed red marks on his lower fins and on his dorsal fin. They are very deep red and run along the thicker part of the lower fins and close to the body on the dorsal fins. He's about four inches long and lives with two orandas in a 55 gallon with two HOB penguins. Filtration is good and I do water changes twice a week of 5-10 gallons each time. The tank has been going for about 8 months now with zero nitrates and ammonia. Any one have any idea what these marks could be? I'll try to get a pic up if I can. Any help would be great.

In my limited experience, the tails get red streaks when the water quality is poor. If your water quality is great, then I dunno, good luck in finding a solution.

Red streaks on fins are almost always ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Are you absolutely POSITIVE that there is no ammonia or nitrite? I was testing my tank before and my tests read 0 and then I found out they were expired! I would immediately test it to be sure.

Also, have you cleaned your filter recently, added a new fish, done a huge water change, or medicated? Anything that could have disrupted your cycle? My first thought is that this is most likely due to water quality. Rule that out 100% and we'll look into other possibilities.

I checked ammonia and nitrite last nite and both were zero. I haven't checked to see if my kit as expired but I haven't even had it a year yet. I changed one filter every two-three weeks then the other. I check if my kit has expired.

Changing your filter how? If you throw out the complete media every time, you are also getting rid of all the good bacteria that has built in that filter. Although you have another filter running at this time, since the other one got cleaned out that way just a few weeks prior, the bacteria never really has a chance to catch up....

Or do you mean just rinsing out the filter media in tank water? That would be the way to go. And don't believe the pet stores advice to buy filter media every month or so, thats the worst advice they can give you!

Archived